Last updated on June 25th, 2018 at 09:19 pm
These Southwestern Wraps are packed with nutrition, containing black beans, chicken, spinach, roasted red peppers and a low fat sour cream and blue cheese spread. Easy and nutritious!
This post is brought to you by Flatout! Although I’ve been compensated for my time, all opinions are 100% my own.
If you’re like me you probably have a million resolutions at the beginning of the year with the main one being eat healthy, exercise more. I don’t know about you but I make a good effort, at least in January, but then Valentine’s day comes, so hello chocolates and sweets and it all goes downhill from there. However, it’s still January, so I’m still good.
I’m so glad I teamed up with Flatout Flatbread because I’m bringing you an amazing recipe for a super tasty and nutritious Southwestern wrap. This wrap is so good, you won’t feel like you’re missing out on anything. And you’re not because I loaded this with lots of good for you foods, like spinach, black beans, corn, roasted red peppers, cooked chicken breast, green onions and for a bit of a kick I added some jalapeno pepper and a few spices.
I did cook all these ingredients, but it’s mostly to warm up everything and to give the chicken and veggies lots of flavor from all the spices. It’s all very quick and really worth putting in that extra bit of time to cook this a bit. I also made a yummy spread with sour cream, blue cheese and a bit of lime juice and I really think all the flavors are really incredible together. Let’s not forget the Monterey Jack cheese because although I wanted to make these healthy, I’m still not willing to skimp on the flavor, but if you want to cut out some of the calories, leave the cheese out.
These Flatout flatbreads are perfect in this recipe, they’re my favorite and so much better than a tortilla. I find them a lot softer and more malleable, so to me they are the perfect vessel for the ultimate wrap. Not to mention how versatile they are, you could make breakfast wraps, veggie wraps, a million kinds of pizzas, even appetizers, the possibilities are endless.
These Southwestern wraps are even better the next day. I stored them in an airtight container and had leftovers the next day. You can even wrap them up in plastic wrap or wax paper, and you’ve got lunch for the next day. You can eat them cold or you could heat them up either in the microwave, or just pop them in the oven for a bit and they will taste even better because they will crisp up and the cheese will melt. So good!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz chicken cooked and shredded or cubed
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp chili powder ground
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 4 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup roasted red peppers roughly chopped
- 1 cup sour cream low fat
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 7 Flatout flatbreads
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cooked chicken, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and stir to make sure the chicken is coated in the spices. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until the chicken warms up.
- Add the corn, black beans, green onions, cilantro and stir. Cook for 1 more minute until everything warms through.
- Add the spinach and roasted red peppers to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes until the spinach cooks down. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together the sour cream, blue cheese and the lime juice.
- Spread about 2 tbsp of the sour cream/blue cheese mixture over a flatbread evenly, then add about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture and spread evenly over the flatbread. Sprinkle with some Monterey Jack cheese then roll the flatbread to form a wrap. Cut in half and serve.