This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This spaghettini in blush sauce is a simple pasta dish yet packed with flavor. It’s saucy, it’s creamy, it’s dinner!
There’s just something comforting about pasta, right? I sometimes feel deprived that I don’t eat all the pasta I want or my body craves because hubs is not a fan. Like what’s wrong with him? He says he likes pasta once a year! Good thing is I don’t always make only what he likes. Sometimes I want a nice big bowl of pasta with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a good glass of red wine. No meat, no potatoes! Just good old pasta carbs.
Whether you like yours Carbonara style, or Puttanesca style, or whether you love your lasagna or stuffed shells, no matter which way you like it pasta is where it’s at. I love pasta. Any way, shape or form it comes in. Filled with cheese or slathered in sauce, most of us simply just love it.
You ever wonder why we love our pasta so much? Well I’ve been thinking about this. It’s not just flavor, because if you think about it, pasta on its own is quite bland. But pasta is very versatile. Tomatoey sauces and creamy sauces can create the base for hundreds of recipes. But let’s not forget the number one reason; Pasta is super cheap!
What’s great now is that you can find all kinds of pasta, whole wheat pasta, gluten free pasta, and the shapes are endless.
So that’s just how I feel about pasta. Now imagine my delight when Pomi Tomatoes was kind enough to send me some of their delicious strained tomatoes. I just knew I had to make a delicious sauce for a pasta dish. However I wanted to keep it fairly simple, I wanted the tomatoes to be the star of the dish, I wanted them to shine through.
So blush sauce it is. It’s simple with very few ingredients, and chances are you have all of these ingredients in your fridge and pantry right now. As simple as this dish is, it’s also full of flavor, it’s tomatoey and creamy and sprinkled with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, it’s simply fabulous.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 12 ounce spaghettini (or Spaghetti, uncooked)
- 26 ounce tomatoes (canned, whole)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup half and half
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup basil (fresh, chopped)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling water according to package directions.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, seasoning and wine. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes or until sauce is very thick while stirring well. Add salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Add the half and half to the skillet and cook until bubbly. Stir well.
- Add the pasta to the pan. Toss and cook for a few minutes or until sauce is thick and pasta is well coated.
- Serve garnished with basil and cheese.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.