Last updated on July 14th, 2018 at 04:55 pm
Sunflower and Flax Seeds Whole Wheat Cast Iron Bread – no kneading required and only a few ingredients turn into a super crusty delicious bread.
Ever since I’ve started making this easy no knead bread, I’ve never looked back and this is pretty much the only bread I ever make. It couldn’t get any easier. This is the 3rd variation I try, I’ve made one with only white flour, one with whole wheat flour and now I’m trying one with half white half whole wheat and I threw in some sunflower seeds and flax seeds. I have to say this is my favorite, simply because of the sunflower and flax seeds. I cannot tell you enough how easy this bread is.
We love this bread, whenever we want fresh bread, this is the bread we go to. I love the crust and it never fails to amaze me how great the crust is on this bread, it’s like a miracle, like magic. Nothing tastes and smells better, at least to me, than homemade fresh bread, straight out of the oven. If you’re patient enough you can wait until it’s cool to cut into it, or if you’re more the impatient kind like my husband, then you probably will just break into it and have at it.
So when I said this bread is easy to make I didn’t lie. The day before you want to eat the bread, all you need to do is mix all the ingredients in a big bowl, and by mixing I mean to roughly just mix them with a wooden spoon until somewhat incorporated. That’s it, you just cover the bowl and leave it until the next day, you need to let it sit for about 12 to 18 hours. Usually I’ll do mine the night before, takes no more than a couple minutes. This is when you also throw in the seeds or whatever else you want to add to the bread, like herbs, cheeses, or dried fruits like cranberries.
The next day all you need to do is shape the dough into a ball, but make sure you flour your hands really well. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
Before you place it in your dutch oven, you need to heat your dutch oven as you’re warming up your oven, this will prevent your bread from sticking to the bottom. Trust me I know, I forgot once to heat up the dutch oven and I had a hard time taking the bread out.
Cover it up with the lid and bake it for 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes and you end up with the most gorgeous little bread you’ve ever seen. Even if you’ve never made bread before this is a no fail recipe. Trust me.
Watch the video for the original No Knead Crusty bread:
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Sunflower and Flax Seeds Whole Wheat Cast Iron Bread
- In a big bowl mix flour, salt and yeast together. At this time you can add the sunflower and flax seeds and stir them around a bit. Pour water into the bowl and using a spatula mix it until it's all incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on your counter for 12 to 18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Add your ]cast iron pot to the oven and heat it as well until it's at 450 F degrees.
- Remove pot from oven and remove the lid from it.
- Flour your work surface really well and make sure you flour your hands really well. With your floured hands gently remove the dough from the bowl and roughly shape it into a ball. Take the ball of dough and drop it into the pot. Cover the pot with the lid and place it back in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, after which remove the lid and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
What you’ll need:
If you love this bread, try these other no knead cast iron breads: