Twice Baked Potato Slices – baked potato slices filled with a mixture of mashed potatoes, bacon and cheese. Perfect appetizer or side dish.
There’s something totally delicious about these potatoes.
It’s called BACON.
We know bacon makes everything better, and it totally does in this recipe. Not that these potatoes wouldn’t be delicious on their own, aka no bacon, but bacon brings a whole new flavor dimension. To anything. Bacon is where it’s at.
Just remember that I am a bacon enthusiast, so bacon really does rock my world. And my dog’s. Totally rocks my dog’s world. So just embrace bacon. But these potato slices, my friends, are stuffed with mashed potatoes, bacon and cheese. I know, right? It’s totally rocking!
So I have a question for you guys, unrelated to these potatoes. Do you guys watch The Good Wife? I started watching it over the weekend as I was doing 5 loads of laundry because a friend told me how much he loved it. I must say it got me hooked and 7 episodes later I realized I spent almost my entire Sunday watching this show. You just have to love Netflix, this is how I get to watch all my shows, no commercials, can play the shows whenever you want and pause whenever you want and at the risk of sounding like an advertisement but for $8 a month it’s quite the deal. I don’t want to spoil the show for you if you haven’t seen it, but it’s a show with lawyers and solving cases, but there is a lot of drama and suspense going on. I don’t know, I go through phases where I really love a show and watch like 5 seasons in a week, then get so fed up with it, that I never watch it again. I did that with Damages, Pretty Little Liars and Homeland, that I can remember. I absolutely loved those shows, but it’s like after I found out what happened, it killed the suspense for me.
Anyway don’t these potatoes look amazing? So good! They’re perfect little appetizers, though you might need a fork to eat them with, not quite the finger food, unless you bite into it, but they would also be ideal for a side dish, which is actually how we ate them.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Leave a comment below and rate this recipe or take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Twice Baked Potato Slices
- 3 large russet potatoes scrubbed clean
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted, softened
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 slices bacon fried and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the skins are slightly crisp.
- Let the potatoes cool a bit so that you can slice them. Cut off the end pieces from each potatoes then slice each in about 4 equal slices, mine were about 1 inch or a bit less in thickness.
- Lay the slices flat and using a round cookie cutter or a spoon, remove most of the insides. Leave a very thin rim of potato around the edge for structure. As you go, dump the insides into the bowl of your mixer with the butter and sour cream.
- Add milk to the bowl and mix the potato mixture together until smooth. Add bacon, pepper, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and mix together. Taste and season as desired.
- Use a scoop or spoon to fill the potato slices with the potato mixture. Slightly mound the mixture in the slices, as it will settle after baking. Top with additional cheese if desired, and bake at 375 for 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, watching very carefully so you won't burn them.
- Remove from oven and let sit on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before removing with a spatula and serving. Garnish with green onions.