This has got to be the World’s Best Chili recipe as far as I’m concerned, made with chuck short ribs and a chili paste made from scratch with dried chiles! Super hearty and delicious!
WORLD’S BEST CHILI
Alright, I know I’m saying a lot here by naming this the World’s Best Chili recipe, but it truly is in my world. Rich and deep flavors that are developed over time is what this chili is all about. No ground beef or chili powder here. I made a chili paste with lots of dried chiles which I think is the key to this recipe.
I’ve had these dried chiles in the fridge for a couple months now and I knew I was going to use them in a chili but it’s one of those things I put off until I started craving chili. With this cold weather we’re having, nothing warms me up more than a great bowl of chili.
INGREDIENTS IN CHILI
There are 2 components to this chili recipe; the spice mixture and the actual chili.
Spice mixture ingredients:
- New Mexico Mild Chiles
- Chipotle Chiles
- Cocoa Powder
- Beef Broth
- Olive Oil
- Chuck Short Ribs
- Red Onion
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Brown Sugar
- Red Kidney Beans
- Beef Broth
- Monterey Jack Cheese
Dried chiles are pretty affordable and you can find them in your local grocery store. My local grocery store always has all sorts of dried chiles which is why I bought some. I used some dried chipotle chiles and some mild New Mexico chiles.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHILI
While the ingredient list can look overwhelming, don’t worry. It really is quite simple to prepare. The key is to prepare all your ingredients first, then everything will go smooth and quick.
Start by making the spice mixture first with all the chiles. If you toast them a bit it will bring out their flavors. Pulse them in a food processor until you get a powder, then added some cumin, cornmeal, cocoa powder and oregano. To make it into a paste I added some beef broth. You’ll get quite a bit of this paste but not to worry, it’s quite mild; I didn’t find it spicy at all. I suppose it depends which chiles you use.
It is also important to use chuck short ribs. No ground beef here, you’ll want to use the chuck short ribs. If you want a cheaper cut you could use something like a sirloin steak or flank steak. The chuck short ribs are seared first which I really recommend because you will get that extra flavor.
After you mix all the ingredients together, you will cook this in the oven for about 2 1/2 hours at 375 F degrees.
We devoured this and everyone loved it and couldn’t stop raving about it. It really was that good! Such deep and rich flavors, sometimes it really is worth spending a little extra time to get results like this.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHILI IN A SLOW COOKER
You can definitely make this in a slow cooker! Follow the steps up to and including step 5 then transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHILI IN AN INSTANT POT
We all love our Instant Pot because is quick and easy. To make this in an Instant pot, prepare everything as specified up to and including step 5 in the Instant Pot using the Saute setting. Close the lid and cook on Meat/Stew or Manual at High Pressure for 35 minutes, followed by Natural Release when the time is up. Make sure to open the lid carefully.
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER CHILI
Cool chili completely then store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
CAN YOU FREEZE CHILI
Cool the chili then transfer it to an airtight container or individual freezer bags. Free it for 4 to 6 months.
TRY THESE HEARTY DINNERS:
World's Best Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs chuck short ribs deboned; cut into cubes
- 1 small red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 habenero seeded and chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 12 oz light beer I used Corona
- 14 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 28 oz red kidney beans rinsed and drained (1 big can)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 1/4 cups beef broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Cut open the dried chilies bag and remove the seeds. Cut the chilies into 1/2" pieces. In a large, dry skillet, toast the chilies over medium-high heat just until barely smoking. Remove the chiles from the heat.
- Transfer the toasted chilis to a food processor. Blend on high until a fine powder forms will take anyway from 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cornmeal, oregano, cumin, cocoa powder, and pulse while slowly adding 3/4 cup of the beef broth until it turns into a paste. Scrape into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven safe pot such as a Dutch oven, over medium high heat. Add the beef and brown it, will take about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the red onion, garlic, habanero, jalapeno pepper and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes, just until the onion softens a bit. Deglaze the pot with the beer then add the fire roasted tomatoes, sugar, kidney beans, spice paste, and the remaining beef broth. Stir well to combine then bring to a boil.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees.
- Cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar and place in the preheated oven. Cook for about 2 1/2 hours stirring after every hour.
- Serve garnished with Monterey Jack cheese.
- I don't have dried chiles, what can I use instead: You can use a good quality chili powder, but the homemade chili paste is what makes this the best chili recipe.
- Can I use any other cut of beef: You can, a sirloin, or a flank steak. I really recommend using this over ground beef as you'll get more flavor and end up with a richer more delicious stew.
- Slow cooker option: Follow the steps up to and including step 5 then transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Instant Pot option: Prepare everything as specified up to and including step 5 in the Instant Pot using the Saute setting, then close the lid and cook on Meat/Stew or Manual at High Pressure for 35 minutes, followed by Natural Release when the time is up. Make sure to open the lid carefully.
- Storing leftovers: Cool chili completely then store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Freezing leftovers: Cool the chili then transfer it to an airtight container or individual freezer bags. Free it for 4 to 6 months.
- Nutrition: Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.