This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
An easy recipe for creamed spinach that only takes a few minutes! A perfect side dish for steak, eggs that’s rich and tasty.
I remember I used to hate spinach as a child. I used to hate lots of vegetables as a child but especially spinach. But at some point I grew to really like my mom’s creamed spinach, probably after I watched Popeye. 🙂
I’m not sure creamed spinach is a traditional Romanian dish, but I know my mom has made it ever since I can remember. We used to eat it with a scrambled egg, and I think that was my favorite thing of eating spinach. One thing I did hate though is cleaning the spinach and removing all the stems from it, and to this day I continue to do so whenever I make spinach, even though you put in a processor and it all gets chopped up, that’s how my mom taught me so I continue removing all the stems. That’s probably the hardest thing of making this spinach, otherwise it’s an easy and delicious dish and full of health benefits.
I probably don’t need to mention all the health benefits of spinach, but spinach is an incredible non animal protein source of iron, which delivers oxygen all over the body, providing lots of energy to kids’ muscles. Among other benefits, spinach is also a good source of folic acid which helps keep cells all over the body growing and functioning well.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bunches spinach stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese optional
- In a pot with boiling water add the cleaned spinach and leave it in there for no more than 30 seconds, you just want to scald it. Take out the spinach and drain the water. Add the spinach to a food processor and pulse it only a couple times, you don’t want it to turn into a puree.
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Mix in the onions and garlic; cook for 2 minutes until soft. Add the flour and mix well. Add the milk, mix well and Add the chopped spinach and warm through. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cook until liquid reduces by half, roughly 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.