Easy Carrot Cake with cream cheese icing – so good you’ll want more than just one slice.
It was my husband’s birthday a couple weeks ago and for the longest time he’s been asking for a carrot cake, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to make one. Now I’ve probably only made a carrot cake twice before in my life, so I had to look for a recipe.
I found Paula’s Dean’s recipe and every single time when I’ve tried her recipes in the past, it was never disappointing. In fact they always turned out great.
Now if you look at the ingredients of the cake, it looks like there are a lot but don’t let it scare you. The cake is very easy to make. You basically add all the ingredients to a bowl first, except the carrots and pecans/walnuts and mix it well, then add the carrots and walnuts and pour it into pans. There’s nothing fancy about it. I did change a couple things with this recipe though, I added some crushed pineapple and raisins and reduced the oil.
While it may be a simple cake, it is ridonculously good when it comes to taste. It is one of those cakes you cannot stop at just one slice. And that cream cheese icing is to die for. But I leave that up to you to decide. This is truly one of my favorite cakes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- butter for cake pan
- 12 oz (1½ packages) cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk to evenly distribute. Stir in carrots, walnuts, raisins, and pineapple.
- Pour into 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and beat until creamy. Add in the vanilla.