I have a treat for you today and it’s a healthy treat. That’s right, you heard me. A healthy treat. And what a fantastic treat this is. My husband is absolutely madly in love with this bread. And so am I.
A slice of this moist and luscious chocolate zucchini bread is only 116 calories. Don’t get turned off at the sound of zucchini, you can’t even taste it in this bread. When I first told my husband that it was chocolate zucchini bread he turned his back and was not interested, but as usual I begged for him to try a piece and when he did he squealed with delight. He does that a lot, complains at veggies, but throwing some zucchini in this cake is a brilliant idea.
I also turned it into a healthier dessert by cutting out the oil completely and replacing it with apple sauce. It’s still delicious and you won’t feel or miss the fat.
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Evenly spray cooking oil in a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In another bowl whisk the zucchini, egg, apple sauce, and yogurt together. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients, a third at a time.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Other nutritional Total Carbs: 20.6 g
Fiber: 1.4 g
Sugar: 11.8 g
Protein: 2.4 g