Huevos Rancheros – my latest favorite breakfast, huevos rancheros with a spicy tomato sauce with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Huevos Rancheros literally means rancher’s eggs in Spanish. Huevos rancheros is a popular Mexican dish consisting of fried eggs served over lightly fried tortillas with a tomato chili sauce, refried beans, Mexican style rice, and avocado or guacamole. Of course there are many versions of this, my version here is a bit simpler mostly because I’m not a fan of refried beans, so I just served my eggs over my lightly fried tortillas with a tomato chili sauce, and some cheddar cheese.
Now having said all that, I have to admit that this was the first time I ever ate huevos rancheros. I’m so glad I finally tried this popular Mexican breakfast, it’s so much fun to eat and it’s so delicious. I’m a big fan right now. Really really love it, but I’m a big fan of great big breakfasts, especially on weekends. These eggs certainly exceeded my expectations.
If you think the tomato sauce is too complicated to make you could always use salsa, but I loved making this sauce, I used these Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce which is my latest favorite ingredient, there is so much flavor in that pepper, but it’s very spicy too so be careful.
- 4 eggs
- 4 6-inch flour tortillas
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can whole tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, if you can get it
- 1 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce or chipotle chili powder or adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add chopped onions and saute until onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes, you can break them up with a wooden spoon or chop them up like I did. Chop the chipotle pepper and add to the skillet and season with salt and pepper if needed. Simmer sauce for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- In another skillet melt a little bit of butter, and lightly fry the tortillas one at a time on both sides.
- Fry the eggs and add a little bit of cheddar cheese to each egg.
- Assemble the plates by laying out the tortillas, then 2 eggs on each plate, and top with the tomato sauce.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro or parsley. Serve with sour cream or avocado if preferred.