I have to say I am impressed with the weather here, it’s been just gorgeous the past few days and the next few days are going to be just as great. I don’t want to jinx it, so I won’t say much more about that. Having said that, it does tend to look a bit like fall outside, at least here in Calgary, the leaves are falling, the days are shorter and the nights longer. When I come home from work I think I have all the time in the world, make dinner, eat dinner, and before you know it, it’s nighttime already. But sometimes, I get a sweet tooth and no matter how late it gets, there’s always time for something sweet.
What’s the easiest thing to make when you have a sweet tooth? Well for me it’s either muffins or cookies. Today I decided to make some muffins, and when life deals you lemons, you make lemon muffins, with some additions.
Ok, so I had a few lemons and my husband’s favorite muffins are lemon poppy seed muffins, so why not make him happy and satisfy my sweet tooth at the same time.
These muffins are great for breakfast as well, not just satisfying a sweet tooth.
Here’s the printable recipe to these gorgeous puppies:
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- zest from one lemon
- lemon juice from ½ lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the cream cheese and continue mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest and continue mixing.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix for a few seconds, but do not over mix the batter.
- If you are not using muffin liners, butter your muffin tray. Pour the batter in each muffin cup, this should be enough for 12 muffins.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until muffins are done.