Last updated on May 31st, 2018 at 10:29 am
These incredible healthy Carrot Cake Muffins come complete with a delicious streusel topping and pepitas for an extra crunch.
Who doesn’t love fresh muffins right out of the oven, smelling incredible, your mouth watering and you just can’t wait to sink your teeth in them. I thought so! But you don’t have to go to your bakery to get them or use store bought mixes, you can make them from scratch and nothing tastes better than homemade freshly baked muffins from scratch.
These carrot cake muffins really are quick to make and they are perfectly spiced with ginger, cinnamon and allspice then topped with an easy streusel topping and some pepitas for extra crunch. Muffin batters really are easy to make, you mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then the wet ingredients, then you put them together. Nothing to it.
Carrot cake muffins have to be one of my favorite though because just the idea of carrots in a muffin simply implies healthy eating in my head. Yes, I know there are sugars in the muffins, but come on, we’re talking carrots. My latest thing that I do with quick breads and muffins is to replace the vegetable oil with applesauce. Trust me it works, you cut down on the fat, but you still end up with super moist muffins or quick breads. You won’t even miss the fat, you might even like them better this way.
Of course if you wanted to take it one step further, you could replace the refined sugar in these muffins with pure maple syrup for example, I think that’s what I’ll try next time I make these muffins. Not that I’m on a health kick or anything, you know me, I love my bacon and cheese, but hey I’m all for making healthy substitutions when I don’t affect the taste at all, especially when they taste even better.
Muffins are such a fantastic and quick way to start your morning! Switch it up with these recipes:
- The Perfect Banana Muffins
- Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Jumbo Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Carrot Cake Muffins
For Streusel Topping
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp butter unsalted, melted
- First prepare the streusel topping by combining the 2 tbsp of flour with the tbsp of brown sugar, breaking the sugar with a fork. Add the butter and stir in with a fork, or use your fingers to crumble up the mixture. Set aside.
- To prepare the muffin batter, first combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine properly.
- In another bowl add the eggs, applesauce, buttermilk, the sugars, vanilla extract and whisk well or use your mixer to mix properly. Using a spatula stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the grated carrots.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter equally among the 12 cups.
- Sprinkle each muffin with some of the streusel topping and the pepitas.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are done. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center of a muffin and if it comes out clean the muffins are baked.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!