This incredible healthy Carrot Cake Muffins recipe come complete with a delicious streusel topping and pepitas for an extra crunch.
Carrot Cake Muffins
Who doesn’t love fresh muffins right out of the oven? Smelling so incredible, your mouth watering and you just can’t wait to sink your teeth in them. I thought so! But you don’t have to go to your bakery to get them or use store bought mixes, you can make them from scratch because nothing tastes better than homemade freshly baked muffins.
These carrot cake muffins really are so quick to make and they are perfectly spiced with ginger, cinnamon and allspice then topped with an easy streusel topping and some pepitas for extra crunch. Muffin batters really are easy to make! Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then the wet ingredients, then you put them together. Nothing to it.
These muffins are so basic! What sets them apart from the rest is the perfect blend of spices, and a few secret ingredients to make these healthy muffins taste sinful.
For the streusel topping you’ll need:
- Brown sugar
- Pepitas aka pumpkin seeds (optional)
For the dry ingredients you’ll need:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
For the wet ingredients you’ll need:
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Grated carrots
How To Make Carrot Cake Muffins
Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and give each liner a quick spray with cooking oil to help them come off easier. If you don’t want to use muffin liners, you can just spray the muffin tin directly with cooking oil.
Prepare the streusel topping by mixing the flour and brown sugar in a small bowl using either a fork or a small whisk. Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
Start the batter by mixing the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until well combined. In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until the sugar begins to dissolve. Using a spatula, gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is cohesive and fully mixed in.
Using a large ice cream or cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly among the 12 cups of your muffin tin. Sprinkle each muffin with the streusel, and top with pepitas. Bake for 20 minutes, or until your muffins are fully cooked. Let them cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then they are ready to serve!
What Else Can I Add To Muffins?
I kept these nice and basic, but you are free to add some fun mix-ins!
- Try dried fruits like raisins, cranberries, and chopped apricot.
- You can also use nuts! I love to use soft varieties like pecans and walnuts. These are also great substitutions for the pepitas used as a topping. Try out sliced almonds on top for a bit more crunch.
- Do you have a bit of a sweet tooth? Try out some chocolate chips. But, if you want to keep these healthier, you can add some diced apples for a bit of a sweet bite.
How To Tell When My Muffins Are Done Baking
Insert a toothpick into the thickest part of one of the muffins in the tin. If the toothpick comes out clean, your muffins are done baking. If there is any batter sticking to the toothpick, bak fro another 5-10 minutes at a time until the toothpick comes out clean. Use a new toothpick for each test.
- Don’t over-mix because we want these muffins to be nice and light, rather than dense and chewy.
- Don’t worry about the batter being thick – it’s supposed to be.
- The applesauce in this recipe is used to replace oil. It’s a much healthier alternative, and I promise you won’t be able to tell the difference!
- No buttermilk handy in your fridge? That’s okay! Make your own with 1/2 cup of milk and two teaspoons of either lemon juice or white vinegar.
- You can replace the granulated sugar in this recipe with 3/8 cup maple syrup.
- For the best Carrot Cake recipe, check out my recipe here.
Store these muffins in either a plastic bag, plastic wrap, or an airtight container. They will last at room temperature for 3 days or in your fridge for 1 week. These are extra delicious if you reheat them for about 30 seconds in the microwave before digging in!
Wrap these muffins individually with either plastic wrap or foil, or you can place them all in a large freezer bag or airtight container. Reheat by putting them in the microwave for 1 minute, or until heated through.
More drool worthy muffins:
- The Perfect Banana Muffins
- Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Jumbo Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Carrot Cake Muffins
For Streusel Topping
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoon butter unsalted, melted
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger ground
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots grated
- 2 tablespoon pepitas optional *
- Prepare streusel topping: First prepare the streusel topping by combining the 2 tbsp of flour with the tbsp of brown sugar, breaking the sugar with a fork. Add the butter and stir in with a fork, or use your fingers to crumble up the mixture. Set aside.
- Prepare muffin batter: To prepare the muffin batter, first combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine properly.
- In another bowl add the eggs, applesauce, buttermilk, the sugars, vanilla extract and whisk well or use your mixer to mix properly. Using a spatula stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the grated carrots.
- Fill muffin cups with batter: Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter equally among the 12 cups.
- Top muffins with streusel: Sprinkle each muffin with some of the streusel topping and the pepitas.
- Bake: Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are done. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center of a muffin and if it comes out clean the muffins are baked.
- Cool and serve: Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and serve.