Roasted Potatoes with various spices, they’re good for you, really.
Contrary to popular belief, potatoes are not bad for you, potatoes have many health benefits. They may have a bad rap but it belongs to how you prepare potatoes, or what toppings you fill them with. The potato itself is good for you, fairly low in calories, and for those calories you get a lot of nutrients. Potatoes are full of vitamin C, high in potassium, they are a great source of iron and copper and a potato a day is good for your heart.
Not that I’m an expert or anything, but I’m just saying. So instead of frying potatoes, the best way to eat them is baked or roasted. Roasted potatoes have a lot less oil then fried potatoes. The great thing about roasting potatoes is that you can literally flavor them with any spices you like. My favorite roasted potatoes are with a garlic sauce, you can find that recipe here. However, I like to try different spices and so today’s recipe is roasted potatoes with a bunch of spices. They were delightful. Whenever I make roasted potatoes at home, there are never any leftovers.
For these roasted potatoes I decided to use red baby potatoes, which I washed really well and cut them in half. To cook them evenly, you want to make sure all the potato pieces are about the same size. For the spice mix, I used garlic and ginger paste, cumin seeds, chili powder, olive oil, salt and pepper and a little bit of turmeric for some nice color. Basically you mix all those ingredients in a small bowl then pour the mixture over the potatoes, and just mix it around a bit to make sure you coat each potato. Place the potatoes in a baking dish.
To bake them, I usually cover up the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake them in a preheated 375F degree oven for about 45 minutes. After half hour I turn up the heat to 400 F degrees, remove the aluminum foil and roast them for another half an hour, until they are nice and roasted.
You can serve this with any meat dish you want, or if you’re like me just eat them by themselves, with a bit of ketchup.
They are delicious and filling and most of all, good for you.
- 15 - 20 red baby potatoes, washed and cut in half
- 1 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees
- Wash and cut the potatoes in half and place them in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the remainder of the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the spice mixture over the potatoes and mix well so each potato is coated evenly.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake the potatoes for 45 minutes.
- After half hour remove aluminum foil, turn the heat up to 400 F degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and browned.