Spinach and Swiss Cheese Stuffed Chicken Thighs – simple and delicious recipe and only 300 calories per serving.
Did I mention I’m on vacation this week? That makes me very happy. It’s a very relaxing week, did not do much besides work around the house. I was a bit sad that I had to take down the Christmas tree, but that’s OK there’s always next Christmas.
I’ve also been trying this week to cook with foods I had in the fridge, so that I could clean out the fridge. So here’s one dish that came out of this clean up process.
Spinach and Swiss cheese stuffed chicken thighs. I had a whole package of chicken thighs, but I only used 6 here. These boneless and skinless chicken thighs are perfect for stuffing and you can literally stuff them with anything. I used some onion, spinach and Swiss cheese. Saute the onion with the spinach until the onion is translucent and then mix it in with the cheese. Very simple filling here, but lots of flavor.
I secured the thighs with toothpicks and since I had a bit of white wine left in a bottle I poured that over the thighs. Of course you could use chicken broth, or just plain water with some seasoning. I added seasoning to the wine as well.
Bake the thighs for 30 minutes or so covered with aluminum foil and then for another 15 min without the foil, sprinkle remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes, and this is what you end up with. That sauce remains in the dish, which is full of flavor, so I poured that over my rice. Very delicious, simple and healthy, only 300 calories per thigh.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3.5 oz (100 g) frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3.5 oz swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 oz swiss cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Wash and pat dry chicken thighs; lay them flat, inside up. Season with oregano, salt, pepper and paprika on both sides.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil. Add onion to skillet and saute until onion is translucent. Add spinach; season with salt and pepper and paprika. Cook for 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Add 3.5 oz of swiss cheese to spinach mixture and mix well.
- Place 2 tbsp of spinach and cheese mixture on each thigh, evenly dispersing the remaining filling among the thighs as needed.
- Close the thighs and secure with toothpicks, 2 per thigh.
- Add thighs to a 8x8 baking dish. Mix wine with more seasoning, such as salt, pepper, paprika and oregano and pour over thighs. Cover with foil and bake at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over chicken and bake until the cheese is melted.
- Serve over rice.