Curry Chicken in Basil Coconut Sauce – delicious curry chicken in a creamy basil coconut sauce.
Do you ever cook with coconut milk?
No? Well if you don’t you must start now. You know why? Because it makes the most delicious sauces. Trust me on this. This is coming from someone who never used coconut milk. I used to think that coconut milk was only for desserts, but I was wrong, and I’m not afraid to admit when I’m wrong. This is what cooking is all about for me. Expanding my culinary horizon and trying different things.
Having said all that, this coconut curry sauce is delicious and creamy and full of flavor. Not to mention the fresh basil I used here, I for one love basil, I love the smell of it and I love the flavor of it.
So next time you’re in the mood to try experimenting with coconut milk, I hope you try this dish, because it’s such an easy dish and it could be dinner in 30 minutes.
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup of fresh basil chopped or 1 tbsp dry basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup basmati rice or long grain rice
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Add the chicken to a small bowl and sprinkle the curry powder, chili powder and salt and pepper. Toss the chicken so that each piece is well seasoned. Set aside.
- In a large skillet add the olive oil and heat well. Add onion and jalapeno pepper to skillet and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and basil and stir. Add chicken to skillet and cook chicken until it is no longer pink another 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk the coconut milk, chicken broth and cornstarch together. Add the coconut mixture to skillet. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Stir and bring to a boil and turn the heat down and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot over rice.