Rosemary Lemon Chicken with Potatoes and Mushrooms – simple, yet superb.
Sunday night is the end of the weekend. Sad for some, as I have to mentally get ready for work the next day as Monday is not my favorite day of the week. This is why I want to relax on my precious Sunday night and I do not want to slave in the kitchen over a hot stove making a fancy and complex dinner. This is my favorite Sunday dinner meal and has always been; roast chicken and potatoes. It is an easy dinner to make, but it’s one that leaves you happy, satisfied and fulfilled. But you know that is the best part of this meal, how simple it is to make, really.
There is nothing better than roasted potatoes and a nice juicy chicken. This is my idea of comfort food, this is what I consider soul food. This chicken specifically is quite juicy and very lemony in flavor. The rosemary gives it a nice and earthy flavor. And I cannot even talk about the potatoes, I mean roasted potatoes are the bomb. 🙂
This is the dinner of all dinners.
Simple, yet superb.
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus 1 tablespoon leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- juice of 2 lemons (squeezed halves reserved)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts (6 to 8 ounces each), mine were skinless
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400. Cover the potatoes with cold water in a saucepan and salt the water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender, about 8 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Pile the rosemary leaves, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt and the red pepper flakes on a cutting board, then mince and mash into a paste using a large knife. Transfer the paste to a bowl. Stir in the juice of 1 lemon and the olive oil. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, cover and cook until it browns, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook on the other side for a couple more minutes.
- Take a large baking dish and brush the remaining tbsp of olive oil over the bottom of the baking dish. Add the chicken breasts in the middle and the potatoes around the chicken. Throw in the mushrooms.
- Add the rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon halves to the baking dish and drizzle the juice of the remaining lemon, plus any additional garlic lemon juice mixture left; transfer to the oven and roast, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crisp. I kept mine for about an hour.