Fattoush Salad with Chicken – a delicious Lebanese salad with a special spice called sumac, chicken and mint. This salad is to die for.
A few years ago, I used to work at a bank in Troy, MI and there used to be a Lebanese restaurant, not sure if it’s still around, but it was called La Shish. That’s where I had my first Fattoush Salad. It was amazing, delicious, probably the best salad I ever had in my life. Well since then we moved to Calgary, and I haven’t been to a Lebanese restaurant since. Not sure how or what happened, but I got a craving for one of those beautiful and scrumptious Fattoush Salads. I remember at the restaurant they used to make them with no meat, or some sort of deli meat or chicken, so I decided to make mine with chicken.
The ingredients for this salad are very basic, but I’m not sure what makes it so special, I have to say this Fattoush Salad is my favorite salad. I really encourage you to try it, it’s wonderful, refreshing, and if you’re on a diet, you can’t go wrong.
I mean look at those colors, so vibrant, the salad looks and tastes amazing.
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 6 green onions
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast cut in small strips
- 2 flour tortillas cut in small pieces (or a few tortilla chips)
- ⅓ cup of chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup of chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp sumac
- In a small saute pan, add chicken with a bit of olive oil and saute until cooked. You may add salt and pepper on the chicken as well.
- After the chicken is done, in the same pan, add the tortillas that have been cut in small pieces and fry for a bit until they are nice and crisp.
- Next chop all the tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and onions in small cubes.
- Add them all to a large bowl. Add the cilantro, parsley and mint.
- In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper and sumac until it turns thick.
- To the large bowl, add the chicken and the tortilla chips and pour the dressing over everything.
- Toss well. You can add the tortilla chips after, so they don't become soggy.