Garlic Basil Knots – simple flavors turn this simple roll into a super star. Basil and garlic, marriage made in heaven, as these rolls bake your house will smell heavenly.
I remember a time when I never baked. Not even for such simple things as muffins. My idea of baking was to buy muffin mixes and mix them with water or whatever was required and bake them. I always loved to bake but I guess I never really knew what to bake or how to bake because my mom didn’t really bake much.
Well that was a long time ago, and since then I’ve baked my share of muffins, bread rolls and other goodies. But even now, I would say I’m a shy baker. I guess what I mean by that, is that I’m not sure that people will like what I make, so I’m always kind of afraid to let others try my baking goods. But I’m gaining confidence in that regard, so all is good. Besides, my husband almost always likes what I bake.
Baking gives me such pleasure, though. Especially when I bake something that is as adorable and delicious as these garlic basil knots. Don’t let the knots scare you, they are so easy to make. And this dough couldn’t get any easier to make.
Once you made the dough and let it rise, punch it down and knead the dough a bit and form it into a long roll which you have to cut into 15 pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope, about 15 inches long. Make a knot with the rope of dough, then take the end that comes from underneath and roll it over and press it in the middle, and the other end fold it under and pinch it in the middle. Repeat with remaining pieces. When you’re done you will have these beautiful knots.
Let them sit and rest for a few minutes and then brush them with garlic basil butter. They will start to smell amazing.
Bake them at 400 F degrees for about 9 to 12 minutes.
Your house will smell heavenly, garlic and basil is a great combination. If you have any garlic basil butter left you can brush them after they’re done for that extra flavor.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Garlic Basil Knots
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp of butter softened
- 1 egg
- 3 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp regular active dry yeast
Garlic Basil Butter
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- In a bowl mix yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes until yeast foams up.
- In the bowl of your mixer, mix the flour and salt together. To it, add egg, butter and yeast mixture. Mix using paddle attachment until it's all well incorporated. The dough will be a bit soft.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, cover up with plastic wrap and let sit until doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and knead it a bit, then cut the dough into 15 pieces. Roll each piece into long ropes about 15 inches and form into knots and place on baking sheet.
- Mix the butter ingredients together and brush over knots. Let knots rest for another 10 minutes then bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- If there's any garlic basil butter left, brush again on knots before serving.