Last updated on August 8th, 2017 at 11:31 am
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread – at only 209 calories per slice, you can’t go wrong with this super healthy banana nut bread.
Happy New Year my friends!
To start off the new year right, I’m giving you a favorite recipe of mine, a healthy whole wheat banana nut bread, that most of us make often because we always have some extra ripe bananas on hand. I tweaked this recipe quite a bit to turn it into a very healthy and good for you banana bread. I made some wonderful substitutions and got rid of the oil and replaced it with apple sauce, replaced some of the white flour with whole wheat flour and cut down on the sugar from the usual one full cup of sugar in a loaf to only 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
This banana bread is so gorgeous, and so delicious. We don’t have to cut out the foods we love to eat healthier, we just have to make some smart substitutions. This wonderful bread is only 209 calories per slice, and if you want even less calories, leave out the pecans and you have a banana bread with under 150 calories per slice.
I’m sure most of us have made the same New Year’s resolution and that is to lose weight, eat healthier and exercise more. This banana bread will help you start right.
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Nut BreadPrint Pin Rate
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside. You can use cooking spray, or some coconut oil.
- In a large bowl mix together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and pecans. Set aside.
- In another large bowl mash the bananas. Add eggs, vanilla extract, brown sugar and applesauce. Whisk everything together well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and using a spatula mix everything until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and if preferred sprinkle with the rolled oats and Turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.