This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Checkerboard Cookies are so appealing with their black and white checkerboard design that gives you both a chocolate and a vanilla flavored cookie in one.
Day 3 of Christmas cookies brings us to these pretty checkerboard cookies. They’re not as hard to make as you think, it’s simple cookie dough, one plain and one with cocoa powder for the chocolate dough. I love these cookies, they’re so cute, just adorable.
I could hardly wait to make these cookies. I made them once before and they look so pretty that everyone was so impressed with them and wanted to know how they’re made. See this is why I love this time of year! I’m having so much fun baking! I can hardly wait for the weekend to make some more and trust me, I have some great ideas, you will love them! Maybe it’s a good thing I have to go to work, otherwise I’d be baking all day long, every single day. That would not be good.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Day 3: Checkerboard Cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure lemon extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until well blended, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract, lemon extract, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a clean work surface; it will be loose and crumbly. Knead dough by pushing small amounts away from you with the heel of your hand for 1 to 2 minutes. Divide dough in half. Put the other half back in the mixer and add cocoa powder; mix until fully incorporated.
- Place each half of the kneaded dough between two sheets of plastic. Using a rolling pin, shape dough into two 7-inch squares, about 3/8 inch thick. Using a sharp knife and a ruler, slice each square into nine 3/4-inch-wide strips.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water. Cover work surface with plastic wrap. Place three strips of dough on plastic, alternating white and chocolate strips. Brush tops and in between the strips with egg wash. Gently press strips together. Repeat, forming second and third layers, alternating colors to create a checkerboard effect. Wrap assembled log in plastic. Repeat process for second log, reversing color pattern. Refrigerate 30 minutes, or freeze 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Slice each log into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place on baking sheet. Bake until done, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven, and let cookies cool 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.