Last updated on January 30th, 2017 at 06:41 pm
Red Velvet Kiss Cookies – chewy and delicious red velvet cookies topped with a Hershey’s Kiss! A favorite Christmas cookies!
Only a few more days left until Christmas and things are getting stressful. Christmas shopping still not finished, hoping to finish this week but at least I have my menu prepared for Christmas dinner. Should count for something, right?
One thing I do to get ready though is make cookies in advance and freeze them, take them out the day before and they’re as good as just fresh out of the oven. Today I made these red velvet kiss cookies which I think are just perfect for Christmas and Valentine’s day. But for now let’s just focus on Christmas.
To get the beautiful red color I used red velvet liquid food coloring which I found at Michael’s, but you should be able to find it anywhere. The batter is really simple to make then all you basically do is roll the dough into small cookie balls, roll the cookies through some sugar and bake.
You can make these as big as you want but I prefer mine pretty small, so about 1 inch balls should result in the perfect cookie. You bake these at 350 F degrees for just about 11 to 12 minutes, make sure you don’t over bake them because that will result in dry cookies. These cookies are not meant to be dry, they’re very soft inside, like a red velvet cake, soft, sweet and delicious.
As soon as you take these cookies out of the oven you want to immediately place a kiss on top of each cookie, pressing down a bit. Then you can transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely, though this is when I usually steal a cookie or two and eat them because I like my cookies warm and the chocolate will melt a bit as you bite into them….yeah it’s as good as you’re imagining right now.
Some items you may need to make these cookies.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 14 tbsp butter at room temperature (109g)
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp red liquid food coloring
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for coating
- 12 oz Hershey's kisses, 1 bag
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To the bowl of your mixer add the butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract and beat well until creamy. Add the egg and egg yolk, food coloring and continue mixing until the color is fully incorporated in the batter.
- In a bowl combine the salt, flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer, half at a time, mix well, then add the other half.
- Place the granulated sugar in a shallow plate. Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch cookie balls, then roll through the sugar. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets and repeat until all the dough is rolled. The dough should generate about 4 dozen cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 to 13 minutes. Make sure you don't overbake the cookies because they will be dry.
- As soon as you take the cookies out from the oven, place a kiss in the center of each cookie. Transfer cookies to a wire rack until cooled completely.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
More delicious recipes from my kitchen