Leftover Turkey Shepherd’s Pie – a great way to use any leftover turkey and mashed potatoes.
Thanksgiving came and is now gone just as fast as it came. We had Thanksgiving over at our house this year so I cooked a great big old turkey. I made all kinds of pies which some I have shared with you here and some I will share in the next few days like my great classic pumpkin pie that was a huge hit. My husband even said I spent almost 2 days in the kitchen cooking up a big meal so that it can be enjoyed and done with in about an hour! I know, pretty sad, but the fact of the matter is that I do enjoy being in my kitchen and cooking up a storm. The turkey of course was very delicious but there are lots of leftovers which made my dear dog Mia very happy. She has parked herself by the fridge and will not budge. She knows that there is only good stuff coming out of there.
Of course we can’t give Mia the entire turkey that was leftover though she would stand to argue otherwise, so I had to make something with it besides turkey sandwiches and turkey dog treats. I also had some mashed potatoes so I got this brilliant idea to make a Shepherd’s pie with the leftover turkey and mashed potatoes. My version here is very simple, I basically used whatever I had in the fridge, which was onions, garlic, green pepper, turkey, and canned crushed tomatoes. Of course you could add all kinds of veggies, like carrots and peas but to be honest with I forgot all about them. See I’m honest!
But who cares, this shepherd’s pie was amazing, especially since I topped the mashed potatoes with some fresh mozzarella cheese and baked the pie until the cheese melted and it got all golden and bubbly. Totally delish and a true comfort food in my book!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Leftover Turkey Shepherd's Pie
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups turkey meat white or dark, chopped in small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes canned
- fresh basil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Frank's hot sauce optional
- 1/2 to 1 cup cup of mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add the chopped onion, green bell pepper and garlic. Cook until onion is tender and translucent. Add turkey, tomatoes, hot sauce if using and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes and throw in the chopped basil.
- Grab a square baking dish, I used 8x8 inches and add the turkey mixture and level out. Distribute the mashed potatoes over the turkey so that it's even. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese melts and it's golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley if preferred.