This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This 7 Layer Dip is the ultimate party pleaser, packed with refried beans, tangy guacamole, spiced sour cream, and zesty salsa, topped with cheese, olives, and green onions for a mouth-watering appetizer. It’s an easy, go-to snack that layers fresh and savory flavors in every scoop.
The Perfect Super Bowl Snack
This 7 Layer Dip is a game-changer for your casual gatherings, especially those fun Super Bowl parties. It’s a personal favorite of mine, with its irresistible layers of creamy guacamole, zesty salsa, and ooey-gooey cheese that just meld perfectly together. Super easy to whip up, it’s the kind of snack that has everyone huddling around the table for another scoop.
- Refried Beans: You can make your own using my recipe here. You can substitute this with black beans or pinto beans mashed to a similar consistency.
- Avocados: They’re mashed to create the creamy guacamole layer. If you can’t find avocados, substitute with store-bought guacamole or a creamy pea puree.
- Lime Juice: Adds a fresh zing to the guacamole. You can use lemon juice as an alternative.
- Salt and Pepper: Feel free to adjust the amounts to taste.
- Sour Cream: Provides a cool, creamy layer. You can substitute this with Greek yogurt for a healthier option.
- Taco Seasoning: Gives a spicy kick to the sour cream. If you don’t have any, make your own using my recipe here.
- Salsa: Adds a juicy, tangy layer. Any type of salsa works here, or you can make your own salsa.
- Cheddar Cheese: You can substitute this with any shredded cheese you prefer, like Monterey Jack or a Mexican cheese blend.
- Black Olives: They add a salty, briny touch. If you’re not a fan of olives, you can leave them out or replace them with jalapeños for a spicy kick.
- Green Onions: Chives or red onions can be used as substitutes.
- Tortilla Chips: For dipping. Pita chips or vegetable sticks can also be great alternatives.
Hey, you’re going to love how easy this 7 Layer Dip is to whip up! It’s the perfect dish for when you have friends over or just need a tasty snack.
First up, grab your serving dish and spread the refried beans all over the bottom. Next, let’s get that guacamole ready. Mash up your avocados and mix them with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Once it’s nice and creamy, layer it right over the beans.
Now, mix your sour cream with the taco seasoning for that extra bit of spice. Spread this mixture over the guacamole.
Then, carefully spoon your salsa over the sour cream layer. Try to spread it evenly – it’s like adding a juicy burst of flavor.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the salsa. Now, scatter those sliced black olives and chopped green onions over the cheese. They add the perfect finishing touch with their fresh crunch.
Grab a bag of tortilla chips and dive in. This dip is best enjoyed shared, so call over your friends and start dipping!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this 7 Layer Dip ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare this dip a day in advance. Just cover it tightly and refrigerate. However, I recommend adding the cheese, olives, and green onions just before serving to keep them fresh and vibrant.
How can I keep the avocado layer from turning brown?
The key here is the lime juice in the guacamole layer. It helps prevent browning. Also, make sure the guacamole is well covered by the sour cream layer, which acts as a barrier to air. If you’ve made it ahead of time, a tight cover with plastic wrap also helps.
Can I make this recipe healthier?
Sure! Use low-fat or fat-free sour cream and cheese. You can also substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt for a protein boost. Opting for a homemade salsa with fresh ingredients can also reduce sodium.
- Use Fresh Ingredients for Guacamole: For the best flavor, use ripe avocados and fresh lime juice for the guacamole layer.
- Evenly Spread Each Layer: Take your time to evenly spread each layer, especially the refried beans and guacamole. This ensures a perfect balance of flavors in every scoop.
- Customize Your Spice Level: Adjust the amount of taco seasoning in the sour cream and the type of salsa to control the heat. If you like it spicier, add some diced jalapeños to one of the layers.
- Chill Before Serving: If time allows, refrigerate the dip for an hour before serving. This helps the layers set and the flavors meld together.
- Serve at the Right Temperature: While chilling is good, take the dip out about 20 minutes before serving. Room temperature brings out the best in the flavors and textures, especially the cheese and guacamole layers.
This 7 layer dip will last for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Keep it covered to maintain freshness. Just a heads up, the layers may become a bit watery over time, especially the salsa layer, but it’ll still be tasty!
Discover More Delicious Appetizers
- Spread refried beans as the first layer in a large serving dish. An 8-inch square glass dish is perfect here.
- Mash the avocados and mix with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Layer this over the beans.
- Combine the sour cream with taco seasoning. Spread this over the guacamole layer.
- Carefully spread the salsa over the sour cream layer. Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the salsa.
- Scatter the sliced olives and then the green onions over the cheese.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- While this dip can be served immediately, chilling it for an hour allows the flavors to meld beautifully.
- Ingredient Variations: Feel free to add or substitute ingredients based on your preferences. For instance, you could add a layer of cooked, seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken for a meatier dip.
- Cheese Options: While cheddar cheese is great, feel free to experiment with different types of cheese like Monterey Jack, pepper jack for a spicy kick, or a pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Dairy-Free Version: For a dairy-free alternative, use dairy-free cheese and sour cream substitutes.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.