This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Apple Orange Salad brings together the best of both fruits in a refreshing mix, elevated with a tangy dressing and crunchy pecans.
Fresh apples meet zesty oranges in this lively salad that’s a dance of flavors. The tang of red wine vinegar complements the sweet burst of raisins and fresh orange juice, while the crunchy pecans add a savory touch. It’s a symphony of taste and texture that’s bound to impress.
- Olive oil: Provides a smooth base for the dressing and complements the fresh fruit flavors. Substitute with avocado oil for a milder taste.
- Red wine vinegar: Gives a tangy kick to the dressing. Apple cider vinegar can be an alternative.
- Orange juice: Adds a citrusy freshness. Freshly squeezed is best, but store-bought can work in a pinch.
- Raisins: Give a sweet bite and texture. Dried cranberries can be a tangier substitute.
- Orange: Offers a citrusy zest. Clementines can also be used.
- Apples: The main crunchy component. Choose a variety like Fuji or Honeycrisp for best results.
- Pecans/Walnuts: Provide a nutty crunch. Almonds or cashews can also be used.
- Salt and pepper: For seasoning. Adjust to personal taste.
Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and freshly squeezed orange juice in a large bowl, then stir in the raisins. After peeling and dicing the orange and coring and chopping the apples, add them to the bowl along with roughly chopped pecans.
Season with salt and pepper, toss everything well to ensure the fruits are well-coated with the dressing, and serve your refreshing Apple Orange Salad immediately.
- Apple Variety: Opt for crisp apple varieties like Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Gala for the best texture and a mix of sweet and tart flavors.
- Dressing Absorption: Allow the raisins to sit in the dressing for about 15 minutes before adding other ingredients; this helps them plump up and absorb the flavors.
- Avoid Browning: To prevent apples from browning quickly, toss them in a bit of the dressing or some additional orange juice as soon as they’re cut.
- Nut Choices: While pecans add a buttery taste, walnuts can be used for a slightly more earthy flavor. Feel free to toast the nuts for an added depth of flavor.
- Add-ons: Consider adding crumbled feta or goat cheese for a creamy texture and contrasting flavor.
Discover More Delicious Salads
- Fattoush Salad
- Panzanella Salad
- Watermelon Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad with Lemon Dressing
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and orange juice. Add the raisins and set it aside.
- Peel the orange and cut it into small pieces.
- Core the apples and cut them in small pieces.
- Add the oranges, apples, pecans to the bowl with raisins. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss everything together very well and serve.
- Choose apples that are both sweet and tart for a balanced flavor profile.
- The salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours before serving. However, for the best texture, serve immediately after preparing.
- You can add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg for a touch of warmth and spiciness.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.