This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These incredibly delicious Apple Dumplings are sweet, flaky and drizzled with a tasty syrup. Serve them with a scoop of ice cream for a true comforting experience.
These apple dumplings are the bomb! I could hardly wait to take them out of the oven and sink my teeth into one, not to mention I had to wait to take pictures! It was torture, pure torture!
But now all is good in the world again. I had my apple dumpling with some great vanilla ice cream and now I’m calm again. What can I say? I love my sweets, and apple dumplings are a weakness of mine which is why I don’t make these often.
WHAT ARE APPLE DUMPLINGS
An apple dumpling is a pastry filled with apple, cinnamon, and sometimes raisins. The apples are peeled and cored, then placed on a piece of dough. You then add some butter, sugar and cinnamon. Fold the dough over the apples and the dumplings are then baked until tender.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE DUMPLINGS
First we need to make the pastry crust, and it’s just like making pie crust. Normally I always use my food processor to make my pie pastry but this time I wanted to try and make it with my stand mixer to see if there would be a difference. I used the dough hook attachment and everything worked just as well. It probably took a couple minutes more to get the dough where I wanted it, but in the end the result was the same.
Break the dough into 2 pieces and wrap them up in plastic wrap forming 2 discs. You need to refrigerate this for about 30 minutes.
While you’re waiting for the dough to set in the fridge you can start by making that wonderful brown sugar syrup which really ends up being like a thinner caramel sauce almost. You add all the ingredients to a sauce pan, water, lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down and let it reduce to about half, it will also thicken up a bit.
At this time you can also get your apples ready, you’ll need 4 apples, Granny Smith are probably best, but shouldn’t really matter. Peel them, cut them in half and core them. Then you want to take a piece of butter, roll it in a cinnamon and brown sugar mixture then place it inside the apple. I never said these dumplings were boring, flavor bomb everywhere.
By the time you’re done all this your dough should be ready. Roll out each disc so that it’s about 12 inches in diameter, don’t worry about it being perfect. Cut it in 4 then fold the dough over the apple, making sure to pinch off any excess dough. You can use this excess dough to make some pretty leaves and decorate your apples a bit, just for fun.
WHAT DO YOU BAKE APPLE DUMPLINGS IN
You’ll need a baking dish that’s at least 9×13 inches. Take a ladle of that brown sugar syrup and pour over the bottom of the dish. Place each apple dumpling in the baking dish then pour the remaining syrup over the dumplings.
HOW DO YOU BAKE APPLE DUMPLINGS
Bake the apple dumplings at 425 F degrees for about 40 minutes, depending on your oven, I actually baked mine for 45 minutes, I wanted a bit more of a golden crust on them. Then you end up with these beauties.
Trust me when I tell you they are hard to resist.
Now of course if you can eat them just on their own, still pretty yummy, and I’m not here to judge you. Just make sure you take some of that extra syrup from the bottom and pour some over the dumpling.
But if you want to walk on the wild side and you want something that’s orgasmically delicious, then you must eat this with a scoop or two of the best vanilla ice cream you can afford, then drizzle some of that caramel sauce from the bottom of the pan all over the ice cream and enjoy! That’s all I’ve got to say.
CRAVING MORE DELICIOUS DESSERTS? TRY THESE
- Nutella Stuffed Pumpkin Cruffins with Pumpkin Glaze
- The Porky Monkey Donut
- Apple and Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
For The Crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter unsalted, cold and cut into cubes
- 8 tbsp shortening cold and cut into cubes
- 6 tbsp ice water or more as needed
For Brown Sugar Syrup
- Start by making the crust. Add the flour, salt, butter, shortening to the bowl of your mixer and mix to incorporate. Start adding a little bit of water at a time, and keep adding until the dough starts to come together.
- Dump the dough onto your work surface and divide it into 2 pieces. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the brown sugar syrup, add all the syrup ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down to a simmer and let the syrup reduce to about half, should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the apples. Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove the core.
- In a small bowl mix together the 3 tbsp of brown sugar with 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter, cut it into 8 small pieces and roll each piece in the sugar cinnamon mixture. Place each butter piece in the center of each apple.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out one of the pieces of crust and cut it out into 4 pieces. Each piece of has to be big enough to folder over the apple completely.
- Fold the crust over the apples, use a bit of water if necessary to wet your finger and run it along the edge of the crust. Pinch off any excess dough.
- Pour about a ladle of the brown sugar syrup into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place the apple dumplings in the baking dish and pour the remaining syrup over the apples.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the apple dumplings are golden brown.
- Let the dumplings cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Originally shared Oct 20 2015.