Last updated on April 23rd, 2019 at 03:17 pm
Asian Chopped Chicken Salad – a simple chopped salad with chicken and loaded with colorful veggies and great big flavors from a homemade sesame dressing.
Yes! I’ve got another incredible salad for you guys today that I’m just crazy about. Hubs and I went out shopping the other day and we ended up having lunch at Moxie’s where I had the Asian chopped chicken salad there and as usual, whenever I have a salad there I fall in love with them. So of course as soon as I get home I have to try and replicate it, because I want to have it whenever I feel like it. While we were eating I had to jot down all the ingredients I saw in it, so I wouldn’t forget, then I went to the grocery store right away to grab everything I needed.
The ingredients are lots of fresh vegetables like napa cabbage, you can use just a regular white cabbage if you want, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, cucumbers, edamame and of course lots of chicken breast. I bought a roasted chicken and used all of the chicken breast from it. Usually I end up making a soup with the leftover chicken.
The carrots I already buy them shredded like that to save me the trouble from chopping them. Saves me lots of time by buying already cooked chicken and julienne carrots. I buy the frozen bags of edamame and then just thaw them out about an hour before using them, you don’t even need that long if you just throw them in a bit of hot water.
But the dressing here is the kicker. Of course I don’t know what’s in the Moxie’s dressing so I had to come up with my own here but I think I nailed it. I used about a tbsp of miso paste in the dressing, which I will go and say now that it’s optional, but it will provide a fishy, salty and a bit nutty flavor to the dressing. I found my miso paste in Planet Organic, but I believe all grocery stores now carry it. As far as all the other ingredients in the dressing, I just added whatever I thought screamed Asian to me, like sesame oil, soy sauce (I always use the low sodium one), ginger and garlic and a bit of lime juice. Just put everything together in a blender and you’ll end up with a really nice and creamy dressing.
Can’t get any simpler than that and you end up with a very nice, refreshing and healthy chopped salad, which is perfect for lunch or picnics.
If you love this salad, you have to try these recipes!
- Chopped Salad with Orzo and Corn
- Chicken Shawarma Tabbouleh Salad
- Chicken Spinach Salad with Avocado Cilantro Dressing
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups napa cabbage shredded
- 1 celery stalk chopped or julienned
- 1 cup carrots julienned
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 1 cup edamame
- 1/2 English cucumber julienned
- 2 cups chicken breasts fully cooked, chopped (about 2 )
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- First make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse a few times until creamy, about 30 seconds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- I julienned all the vegetables, but you could also chop them if preferred. In a large bowl, add the napa cabbage, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, edamame, cucumber, chicken breast and toss everything well together.
- Add the sesame seeds, cilantro and the prepared dressing, then toss everything well together again. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately.