Last updated on May 17th, 2018 at 11:22 am
Cajun Shrimp with Tomato Alfredo Pasta – a one pot dish of a simple and delicious tomato Alfredo sauce tossed with your favorite pasta and pan seared cajun shrimp.
Last night I was in the mood for pasta, as it often happens, so flying by the seat of my pants I made up this concoction with diced canned tomatoes which I pureed first, onions and garlic, some heavy cream and Parmesan cheese, of course.
As I’ve said many times before, the best recipes turn out when you throw stuff together that you happen to have in your pantry and hope for the best. Needless to say, I’ve had this calamari pasta, it’s actually pasta shaped like calamari, which I bought at one of my favorite stores in Canmore and have been patiently waiting to make something with it. I actually wanted to make some calamari with it, but as it happened I couldn’t find any fresh calamari so shrimp it was.
I decided to season the shrimp with some cajun seasoning and cook it in a skillet. It’s something I do often with shrimp as I really love cajun spice and find that it’s perfect on shrimp. As far as the tomato Alfredo sauce goes, well it couldn’t get any easier. I used a can of diced tomatoes which I threw in my food processor and pulsed it a few times just until it was smooth enough. While Alfredo sauce is laden with butter and cheese, I only used a couple tablespoons of butter, a small onion and of course a bit of garlic, which I sautéed until fragrant then added the pureed tomatoes and simmered that for a bit. I added a bit of heavy cream to the sauce and some Parmesan cheese and lo and behold the tomato Alfredo was born.
Such a simple sauce but full of flavor. It’s my kind of dish to make on a busy weeknight after work, but fancy enough to have on weekends.
If you love pasta as much as I do, you have to try these recipes!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Cajun Shrimp with Tomato Alfredo Pasta
- 12 oz dry pasta such as fettuccine
- 12 oz large shrimp uncooked, shells removed
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 3 leaves fresh basil chopped for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, season the shrimp with the cajun seasoning. In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook on both sides until pink, it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and the butter to the skillet and heat until butter melts over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, then cook for about 3 minutes until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- While the onion is cooking pour the tomatoes in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Add the tomatoes to the skillet, bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese to the skillet, and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the cooked pasta and shrimp to the skillet and toss everything well together.
- Garnish with fresh basil and more Parmesan cheese if preferred, and serve immediately.