Caramelized Onion Flatbread – so delicious and only 140 calories per serving.
Is it Friday yet?
I cannot wait for this weekend. You know why? It’s a long weekend here in Canada, it’s Victoria Day. I have lots of things planned, so now I just have to get through another couple days of work. I can do it.
I think I’m handling my challenge this month pretty well. If you don’t know, I am challenging myself to only cook vegetarian dishes this month. I have to admit it is not as easy as cooking with meat, but I am definitely enjoying it. I also am loving the dishes. You can still have lots of flavor without meat.
Today’s recipe is a simple caramelized onion flatbread. I’ve been wanting to make this for quite a while now and I am so glad that I finally made it. I love caramelized onions, it’s amazing how much flavor there is in caramelized onions and this recipe is so wonderful because I add a little bit of honey for additional sweetness and some balsamic vinegar. The onions are to die for.
This flatbread also makes for a great appetizer, so give it a try.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Caramelized Onion Flatbread
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.
- Coat a pizza baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil. Roll the pizza dough so that it fits on the baking sheet. Brush 1 tsp of the olive oil over the top of the dough. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- For the caramelized onions, in a large skillet heat remaining 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat 1 minute or until hot. Add butter; melt. Add onions, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook 5 to 8 minutes without stirring. Reduce heat to medium; stir in honey and vinegar. Cook another 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Spread cream cheese over the top of the flatbread. Spread onions evenly over cheese. Cut into squares, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.