Last updated on November 23rd, 2018 at 11:25 pm
This Chicken and Sausage Penne Jambalaya is my delicious personal take on a classic recipe, with chicken and Italian sausage and ready in 30 minutes.
One of my favorite dishes to order whenever I go out to a restaurant is jambalaya. But the great thing about jambalaya is that it’s easy to make right at home and in 30 minutes. Here’s another recipe from my book, a favorite of mine, a jambalaya with chicken and sausage. This is a perfect dish to make at home after a busy day at work, because it’s a no fuss recipe, all done in one skillet.
WHAT IS JAMBALAYA
Jambalaya is a Louisiana origin dish of Spanish and French influence. It consists mainly of meat and vegetables mixed with rice. Traditionally, this dish always includes sausage of some sort such as andouille, along with other meat or seafood.
One bite of this super easy jambalaya and you’ll forget about ever ordering it out again. If you want to kick this recipe up a notch, use spicy Italian sausages, after all, jambalaya is meant to be spicy, and some good Italian sausages will take this jambalaya over the top.
DIFFERENT SAUSAGES TO USE FOR JAMBALAYA
- Jambalaya is great with a Mexican chorizo sausage.
- Andouille sausage which is a smoked sausage made from pork.
- You can also use Kielbasa which is a Polish sausage. It’s flavoured with caraway seeds and made with pork. It’s delicious!
If you love this simple recipe, check out my One Pot Chicken Florentine Gnocchi.
For more quick and easy delicious recipes, you can order my “30-Minute One-Pot Meals” book at:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Chicken and Sausage Penne Jambalaya
- 6 oz chicken breast (1 breast) skinless boneless, cut small pieces
- 1/2 tsp chili powder mild
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 links Italian sausage cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (1 can) juice included
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 8 oz penne uncooked
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 green onions chopped
- 4 sprigs cilantro chopped
- Season the chicken with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and sausage to the skillet and cook for 6 minutes just until the chicken and sausage start to brown.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes until the onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, penne and hot sauce to the skillet; stir well.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the penne is al dente.
- Garnish with green onions and cilantro
- Feel free to substitute the Italian sausage with kielbasa, chorizo or smoked sausage.
- If you don't like cilantro then you can substitute with parsley for garnish.
- Please note that nutritional information can vary greatly based on products used.