This Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta is pure comfort food. A rich and creamy sauce loaded with Italian sausage and mushrooms served over the pasta of your choice, total crowd pleaser!
I never mentioned it on the blog before because I just couldn’t go there and was not ready to share this with you guys, but my dear dog Mia passed away last May. Usually I’d share pictures with her here on the blog, but as you’ve noticed I haven’t shared anything in a while. It was one of the hardest things I’ve gone through, she was very dear to us and even to this day I cannot think of her and not start crying. It was very painful, and we loved her very much. I would share a picture with her here in this post, but I know that I still can’t look at her pictures without starting to cry.
I knew even back then that we’d eventually get another dog, but for the longest time we felt guilty, heck even now I feel guilty but I think we’re finally ready to think about adopting another dog. Hubs has done his research, meaning he’s looked at which breed of dog has the least amount of health issues. After all the health issues Mia has had, he wants a perfectly healthy dog. Of course that’s not possible but he’s trying. After all his research, I think we have settled on the Australian Shepherd breed and are now looking into getting one. I have to say I’m excited and I can’t wait to have another puppy in the house, but it’s also very bitter sweet. Mia was our first dog and will always have a very special place in our hearts. I’d love to hear from you on what breed of dogs you guys have and what kind of health issues, if any, they have.
Before I start bawling here, I should tell you about today’s recipe because it’s another comforting dish, a feel good dish. When I get nostalgic and think about my dog, I need comfort food and I always gravitate towards creamy pasta dishes like Creamy Cajun Pastalaya and One Pot Hamburger Helper Lasagna.
This dish is not only rich and good for your soul but it only requires a handful of ingredients and it’s really simple to make. You will need to start with some good Italian sausage, I actually used spicy Italian sausage which is why if you watch the video you will notice the sausage meat is quite red, however, feel free to use the mild one. If you like spicy though, go for the spicy Italian sausage and feel free to add more red pepper flakes in there.
The mushrooms also give this dish a very earthy flavor, plus I love mushrooms. For the non mushroom lovers out there, feel free to use anything else like asparagus or peas, or whatever veggie you like. Also, if you want a burst of freshness in this sauce, feel free to toss in some cherry tomatoes at the end, it will be amazing.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta
- 12 oz pasta I used Mafalda
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage no casings
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb white mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups whipping cream (35%)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- At the same time cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink and starts to brown. It should take about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until it becomes aromatic. Add the mushrooms and stir. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until they start to brown and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Season the mushrooms with salt, pepper then add the red pepper flakes. Stir in the whipping cream and return the sausage back to the skillet. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces a bit.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm over cooked pasta.