This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta is pure comfort food. A rich and creamy sauce loaded with Italian sausage and mushrooms served over the pasta of your choice, total crowd pleaser!
Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta
You know when you have one of those days that you’re just dead on your feet and you know you just need something comforting and delicious, but also easy and quick to throw together. This creamy sausage pasta is just that, plus it’s good for the soul – I promise you.
It’s chock full of earthy, savory mushrooms, spicy and plump sausage, and of course perfectly al dente pasta. I’m a sucker for a rich creamy sauce, I mean who isn’t? So of course this dish is swimming in one, so let’s get into it.
The best thing about this dish, other than how it tastes, is how flexible it is! By no means do you have to stick with the recipe listed below to the letter. If you have extra veggies or other kinds of protein hanging around the fridge then feel free to add them! I’ve included a section below that lists some great tasting additions so keep scrolling!
What Is Mafalda Pasta?
If you’re unfamiliar with this style of pasta, I don’t blame you – I mean it’s not exactly common. This style almost looks like shrunken down lasagna sheets which means they’ll be totally twirl-able when incorporated into your dish. I promise you’ll be able to find them at your local grocery store but if not any small shaped pasta will work just fine.
Ingredients In Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta
- Pasta – We’re using Mafalda pasta today but if you can’t find it any small shaped pasta will work.
- Sausage – I used nice Italian sausage with the casings removed.
- Butter – Unsalted as we want to control the sodium in our dish.
- Garlic – Use as much or little as you like.
- Mushrooms – Fresh and sliced up, I used white mushrooms today.
- Herbs – Fresh parsley all chopped up.
- Red pepper flakes – To add some heat and color to our dish, go for as little or as much as you like depending on your spice tolerance.
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper.
- Cream – I used whipping cream today, feel free to go as heavy or as light as you like fat percentage wise.
How To Make Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta
- Prepare the pasta: Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Brown the sausage: At the same time cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink and starts to brown. It should take about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet.
- Saute the sauteables: Add the butter to the skillet and melt. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until it becomes aromatic. Add the mushrooms and stir. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until they start to brown and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Create the sauce: Season the mushrooms with salt, pepper then add the red pepper flakes. Stir in the whipping cream and return the sausage back to the skillet. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces a bit.
- Finish the dish: Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm over cooked pasta.
What Else Can I Use In Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta
As I said above, you can have as much fun with this dish as you’d like! Here’s some great additions:
Storing Leftover Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta
Properly cool the pasta before storing it, so that it will freeze and store evenly. It will stay fresh for 3 – 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Frozen pasta dishes will last for 2 – 3 months, just be sure to allow to thaw fully in the fridge before re heating.
More Must Try Pasta Recipes:
- Creamy Cajun Pastalaya
- One Pot Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Arugula and Walnut Pesto Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Caprese Pasta
- Penne with Prosciutto, Tomatoes and Zucchini
- Penne with Cream and Smoked Salmon
- Leftover Ham And Cheese Penne
- Greek Chicken Pasta
- Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta
- 12 oz pasta I used Mafalda
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage no casings
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb white mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups whipping cream (35%)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- At the same time cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink and starts to brown. It should take about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until it becomes aromatic. Add the mushrooms and stir. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until they start to brown and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Season the mushrooms with salt, pepper then add the red pepper flakes. Stir in the whipping cream and return the sausage back to the skillet. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces a bit.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm over cooked pasta.
- If you don’t like mushrooms, use any vegetable you like such as peas or asparagus. You can always use beef, chicken, shrimp, or turkey as well.
- Use any type of pasta that you like. I find this works the best with smaller types such as penne, rotini, bowties, etc. but you use noodle types as well.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.