These Chocolate Fudge Cherry Cookies are so adorable and festive cookies! You have a chocolate cookie topped with chocolate fudge and a maraschino cherry.
Welcome to Day 6 of 12 days of Christmas! We’re half way there!
There’s chocolate overload with this recipe! What happens when you put together a chocolate cookie topped with chocolate fudge and double topped with maraschino cherries, both red and green? You get a chocolate fudge cherry cookie! Aren’t these the most adorable cookies you’ve ever seen and the most festive? I made my poor husband go and look for green maraschino cherries because I just wanted to have both red and green and he found them! But for some reason the green ones are smaller than the red ones, no matter, they still look adorable!
I used to hate maraschinos as a kid, now I absolutely love them! It’s like eating candy, the red ones are sweet and the green ones a bit minty. To me, maraschino cherries are Christmas. I love to put them in cocktails and all sorts of cookies.
I think these cookies are probably the most adorable looking out of all the cookies I made. And don’t even get me started on the taste. They taste amazing, chocolate, fudge, candy! Need I say more?
The cookie dough is very simple to make. You’ll spend a bit of time making the balls, but it’s fun and this would be great to share the fun with your kids. Once you make the balls, you need to make an indentation in each cookie. I find this easier done with a cork. Just gently press the cork down on each cookie. I’m all about simple.
Next comes the chocolate fudge, yum! It’s so simple to make, unsweetened condensed milk and chocolate and a bit of the maraschino juice for taste. That’s it. I also found it easier to put the fudge in a ziploc bag and pipe a little bit of the fudge into each cookie. So cute!
And this is where my maraschino cherries come into play. Top each little cookie with a maraschino cherry. I suppose if you wanted triple chocolate you could top them with a chocolate kiss!
Next bake these puppies for about 8 to 10 minutes. If you are patient you could let them cool off a bit, otherwise just pop one in your mouth, careful not to burn yourself, but oh they are so good. Normally I’d say it’s the fudge but seriously everything about this cookie is ridiculously delicious.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Chocolate Fudge Cherry Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 36 to 48 maraschino cherries red and/or green
- 6 oz chocolate pieces semisweet
- 1/2 cup condensed milk sweetened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts. Beat well.
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat until blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- With your finger (I used a cork) press down in the center of all the dough balls.
- Prepare the frosting. In a small saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk and chocolate pieces until melted and combined. Stir in 4 teaspoons of maraschino cherry juice.
- Spoon some frosting into the thumbprint of each cookie. I found it easier to put the frosting in a ziploc bag and pipe it into each cookie. Top with a cherry.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.