This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy texas sheet cake is made simpler by using cake mix and the icing is to die for. Simply pour this delicious icing over the cake, let cool and enjoy.
Before I begin, I know there will be those of you out there who will start criticizing me because I used cake mix. I know this is such a faux pas in the food blogging world. Well I’m sorry, but I have a full time job besides blogging, so I look for shortcuts wherever I can. I’m sure many of you already have busy lifestyles so if you can find a way to “cheat” or make your life easier, why not! And honestly, why mess with a good thing? Have you ever used Betty Crocker’s super moist chocolate cake mix? It’s the bomb!
But yes I know this is a food blog, so you don’t need a recipe you can get on the back of a box, so that’s why I turned this little morsel into a Texas sheet cake, so you’ll get the recipe here to make the most amazing chocolate icing ever. And by the way, my picky husband who won’t eat many of the desserts I make, claimed this as the best cake he’d ever had. Out of a box??? He thought I made a mistake and that’s why it turned out so good. So much faith this one has in me!
To be honest though, I did make a small boo boo. I lined my baking sheet with parchment paper because I didn’t want the work of cleaning up the pan. So after I cooked the cake I realized I had to take it out of the pan, remove the parchment paper and put the cake back in the pan, but now the cake was a bit smaller, so the sides were not touching the pan. When I poured the chocolate icing over the cake, some of it spilled over to the sides. But, as a lot of good things happen by mistake, all that delicious warm chocolate icing went under the cake thereby causing the bottom of the cake to become so moist, and juicy and delicious. So you see it was a good thing, but of course I didn’t admit to this mistake at first, however, he would not stop questioning me how this cake turned up so delicious, so I had to fess up.
Now my poor husband is afraid that next time I make this cake I will make it “the way it’s supposed to be made” therefore not being as good as the “mistake”. What’s a girl to do? But if you want to recreate this little marvel here is the recipe.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Easy Texas Sheet Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake super moist
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together on medium speed for 2 minutes. If you don’t have Betty Crocker’s super moist chocolate cake mix, make sure you follow the instructions on the back of the box.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. If you stick a toothpick in the center of the cake it should come out clean.
- While the cake is baking, bring butter, cocoa, and cream to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and confectioners’ sugar. Use while still warm. Remove cake from pan and remove the parchment paper from the cake. Place the cake back in the pan and pour warm chocolate icing over the cake. Let cool completely.