This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Hawaiian Pizza brings the flavors of the tropics straight to your kitchen, intertwining sweet pineapple chunks with crispy bacon and juicy ham. When topped with shiitake mushrooms, it’s a fusion experience you won’t want to miss.
The Best Hawaiian Pizza
This Hawaiian Pizza is a delightful fusion of the tropics with traditional flavors. With the sweet hint of pineapple mingling with savory bacon and ham, this pie captures the essence of island paradise, and with the optional addition of shiitake mushrooms, each bite promises to be an unforgettable experience.
- Pizza dough provides the base and foundation for our toppings. Use my pizza dough recipe or use store-bought crusts.
- Pizza sauce offers a tangy and flavorful moisture to the pizza. You can swap with marinara or even a garlic-infused olive oil base for a different flavor profile. Make your own pizza sauce using my recipe.
- Mozzarella cheese gives the pizza its gooey, melt-in-your-mouth quality. Feel free to mix it with provolone or cheddar for added depth.
- Bacon introduces a crispy, savory element. For a lighter touch, turkey bacon or even vegetarian bacon bits can be used.
- Ham contributes a salty, meaty bite. Chicken or turkey cubes might be a suitable replacement.
- Pineapple brings a sweet and tangy counterpoint. Mango chunks can offer a similar tropical vibe with a slight twist.
- Shiitake mushrooms add an earthy umami kick. Substitute with crimini or button mushrooms if shiitake isn’t on hand.
- Basil lends a fragrant, aromatic touch to the pizza. Fresh oregano or parsley can serve as alternatives.
- Pepper elevates and balances the flavors. Adjust the level to your preference or experiment with crushed red pepper for a touch of heat.
Start by preheating your oven to a scorching 500℉. While it’s heating, roll out your pizza dough, placing it onto a pizza stone or tray. Generously spread the tangy pizza sauce over the dough, creating a flavorful canvas. Layer with the creamy mozzarella cheese, ensuring even coverage.
Then, artfully distribute the crispy bacon, succulent ham, sweet pineapple, and earthy shiitake mushrooms. Finish by sprinkling the aromatic basil and a dash of pepper for that extra kick. Slide it into the oven and watch as it bakes to perfection in just 10 minutes, with the cheese bubbling and the edges turning a crispy golden brown.
- Baking Stone Advantage: Using a baking stone can significantly improve the crust’s texture, making it crispy on the bottom. If you don’t have one, a cast-iron skillet or an inverted baking sheet can also do the trick.
- Pineapple Prep: To prevent a soggy pizza, use fresh pineapple when possible and pat it dry with paper towels before adding to the pizza. If using canned pineapple, ensure it’s well-drained.
- Shiitake Mushrooms: These mushrooms provide a unique umami flavor, but if they’re not your thing or you can’t find them, cremini or button mushrooms can be used as a substitute.
- Cheese Matters: While mozzarella is classic, don’t hesitate to mix in other cheeses like provolone or fontina for a richer flavor profile.
To keep your Hawaiian pizza fresh and delicious, store any leftovers in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Place the wrapped pizza in the refrigerator, where it can be kept for up to 3 days.
If you wish to store it for a more extended period, consider freezing the pizza. To do this, place individual slices on a baking sheet, freeze until solid, then transfer to a zip-top freezer bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. This method helps prevent freezer burn. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat the frozen slices in the oven until they’re warmed throughout.
Discover More Delicious Recipes
- Preheat oven to 500℉.
- Roll out the pizza dough and place it over a pizza stone or a pizza tray.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the pizza dough, then add all the ingredients in the order you prefer.
- Bake in the preheat oven for 10 minutes.
- If you prefer a less sweet profile, reduce pineapple by half.
- Use fresh pineapple for the best flavor profile.
- For a spicier kick, sprinkle some red pepper flakes before baking.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.