Hungry Man’s Pizza or Hungry Woman’s Pizza. Loaded with some of my favorite ingredients, like bacon, shiitake mushrooms, capers, olives and loads of cheese, there’s nothing better than a delicious homemade pizza!
Tonight we made pizza for dinner and I must say it was a lot of fun. I call this Hungry Man’s Pizza (or Hungry Woman’s pizza) because we put lots of ingredients on this pizza from bacon to capers to shiitake mushrooms and boy did it turn out beautiful and so delicious. I made the dough from scratch and the dough recipe that follows makes dough for 2 pizzas, so I only made one tonight and put the other half of the dough in the freezer to make at a later time.
Making pizza dough is very easy, all it takes is a few simple ingredients that you have in your pantry right now. Of course you always have the option of buying your pizza dough at the store and using it here.
The way I chose the ingredients for this fabulous pizza was simple. I looked in my fridge and picked out what I saw. I had these gorgeous cherry tomatoes that were just calling to me to be used up. A long time ago I never would have put tomatoes on a pizza, but living in Southern Ontario for so many years, where they probably have the best pizzerias in the world, opened my eyes to all kinds of variations of pizza. One of them being a simple tomato onion pizza, which to this day is one of my favorites and it’s always what I order when I go back to Southern Ontario.
Another one of my favorite ingredients I found in my fridge were these wonderful shiitake mushrooms.
And of course my all time favorite, the bacon.
And here, my beautiful dog was smelling the bacon with that intense look on her face that if the bacon didn’t come to her, her life would just simply be over! Isn’t she cute. 🙂
After all the ingredients are on the pizza this is what my gorgeous pizza looked like..
Yum, eh? And now….drum roll please…the final product….
More Delicious Recipes To Try
- Italian Stuffed Flank Steak
- Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Kale Cherry Salad
- Bucatini all’Amatriciana
- Chicken Jalfrezi
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
- Pour the yeast over the warm water in a small bowl. In the bowl of your mixer, add the flour and salt and mix. Add the olive oil and using the dough hook, mix for about a min.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. Shape the dough into a bowl and place in an oiled bowl, rubbing oil on the dough as well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Fry the bacon on a plate with paper towels to soak up the fat. Slice up the tomatoes, mushrooms and olives.
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.
- Take the dough from the fridge and cut it in two pieces. Refrigerate half of the dough if you’re only making one pizza. Roll out the pizza dough and place it on a oiled pizza pan, no need to oil the pan, if you’re using a stone.
- Assemble the pizza, start with the pizza sauce, mozzarella then the rest of the ingredients.
- Bake the pizza for about 15 minutes or until done.