Last updated on June 6th, 2018 at 02:17 pm
This Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is a copycat recipe of the popular Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana. It’s loaded with sausage and potatoes but best of all it’s homemade and even more delicious!
The Olive Garden used to be one of my favorite restaurants and we used to love going there for lunch to have the soup and salad. One of my favorite soups there is the Zuppa Toscana.
Zuppa Toscana basically means Tuscany Soup and a classic zuppa Toscana is normally a soup made from kale, potatoes, sometimes cannellini beans, onion and carrots. The main difference with the Olive Garden is the Italian sausage.
I chose an milder Italian sausage for this soup but I did add some red pepper flakes. You can definitely make it spicier by using a spicy Italian sausage, and adjust the red pepper flakes to your liking.
Usually heavy cream is added to this soup but I used half and half which has a lower fat percentage than heavy cream. If you don’t like kale, spinach can also be used. This soup is delicious and comforting, all in one pot, easy to prepare totally satisfying. Every spoonful is loaded with chunks of Italian sausage and potatoes.
I promised you a lot more instant pot recipes, and trust me I have more to come. I love the Instant Pot and it really is my most used kitchen appliance now. It just makes things so much easier and quicker.
Love your Instant Pot as much as I do? Try these other IP recipes:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage casings removed, (I used mild, but spicy can be used)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 medium potatoes cut in cubes, I used russet potatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added
- 4 cups kale chopped (1 small bunch)
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. (See your manufacturer's guide for detailed instructions on how to use your instant pot.)
- Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot, then add the sausage and brown for 3 minutes until it's no longer pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the cubed potatoes and the chicken broth. Give it a stir.
- Close the lid (follow the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to close the instant pot lid). Set the Instant Pot to the Manual setting and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 minutes. Follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release, if in a rush. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot.
- At this point you can adjust the salt and pepper if necessary. Add the chopped kale and set the Instant Pot to the saute setting again. Cook for two more minutes uncovered, until the kale cooks a bit. Stir in the half and half or heavy cream.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, by pressing the cancel button. Serve the soup warm garnished with Parmesan cheese or bacon bits if preferred.