Last updated on August 11th, 2018 at 12:36 pm
This Bourbon Chicken is a flavorful chicken dish where the chicken is marinated in a bourbon and soy sauce marinade. Served over rice, this dish is easy and delicious!
Here’s a recipe I shared with you guys exactly 5 years ago to the day, which I think is crazy, but it’s one of my favorite chicken dishes. Bourbon chicken was the dish I’d always have whenever we used to go to the mall for a quick lunch. I loved it because it’s so flavorful and the chicken is so juicy and tender.
Although I originally thought that Bourbon Chicken was an Asian dish, it is actually a Cajun dish in origin named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans. But it doesn’t really matter where it originated, the important thing is that it’s so good and most importantly so easy to prepare.
Seriously though, this dish is so simple, the skills required are whisking all the marinade ingredients together and then cooking the chicken. The great thing about this dish is that you can prepare this the night before and just let it marinate overnight, so when you come home from work the next day all you have to do is cook the chicken.
But let’s talk booze, shall we? My passion for booze only goes as far as Mojitos or Margaritas, but I do love to cook with it. I would never drink Bourbon unless it was in some sort of cocktail, but I do like the flavor of it in food. I have tried it a couple times and the burn was crazy. Not for me! I do however love to cook with it.
I do cook the marinade in this dish and as it cooks it reduces creating this nice and sticky sauce that’s to die for. I like to add half of it to my chicken as it cooks and I cook the remaining sauce separately in a small saucepan until it reduces, so that I have some to drizzle over my chicken and rice afterwards.
The first time I shared this recipe with you guys, I had it done with chicken breast and while it was still delicious, I think chicken thighs work way better here. Chicken thighs are way juicer, but it’s up to you what you decide to use.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 2 lb chicken thighs boneless and skinless, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl thoroughly. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl, toss them around, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium to high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add half the marinade to the chicken and continue cooking until the marinade turns into a thicker sauce and the chicken is fully cooked. Should take another 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you want some extra sauce, cook the remaining marinade in a small saucepan over medium heat, for about 5 to 10 minutes until it reduces about half and thickens a bit.
- Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with chives.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!