This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mandazi, African Donuts – light, fluffy and incredibly tasty.
Easy Mandazi Recipe
I’ve been really sick this weekend with a sore throat and the last thing I wanted to do is cook.
But I was in the mood for some donuts. 🙂 I wanted something different though, and surfing through the web I came across this African donuts recipe. I was delighted. Don’t get me wrong, most donuts recipes are pretty similar but these donuts are with coconut milk which is what I think makes them special.
They were wonderful, so tasty, light and fluffy, not too sweet, so I sprinkled some powdered sugar over them, just fabulous.
So give it a try, it’s a wonderful treat for a weekend. This recipe will make lots of donuts, didn’t count them all, but I had 1 large bowl full of donuts, plenty to share with friends.
More Delicious Donuts To Try
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Twists
- Glazed Donuts
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Paczki (Polish Donuts)
- Cherry Jam Filled Sour Cream Donuts
- In a small bowl mix the yeast and warm water and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast dissolves.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add flour, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon and mix. Add vegetable oil, egg, coconut milk, sugar and yeast mixture.
- Using the hook attachment mix everything until the dough is not too sticky and it does no longer stick to the side of the bowl, add additional flour as needed.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for about an hour until the dough rises a bit.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, or a wok works well for this.
- Cut the dough in about 6 pieces to make it easier to roll and cut. Roll each piece so that the dough is about 1 cm (less than 1/2 inch) in thickness. Cut into triangles and place in hot oil. Fry on both sides. Place donuts on paper towels to soak up the oil. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and enjoy.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.