This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Red Lentil and Chicken Soup – a hearty and delicious soup loaded with lentils and chicken, cumin and smoked paprika, a perfect comfort soup for a cold fall or winter night.
Fall for me is all about comfort soups, pumpkin spiced lattes or hot cocoas. Although I’m happy to say the weather really has been cooperating, I still crave a hot and comforting soup. I simply love this time of year, the colors are just beautiful.
Lentil soups are delicious. Lentils are great and I wish I cooked more often with them, but I forget about them. I’m very disappointed to say that. Because when I do make something with lentils I remember how much I love them and how good they are.
But this soup is right up there with my favorite dumpling soup. You could easily turn this into a vegetarian dish if you wanted to, just skip the chicken. This is a very hearty and full of flavor soup. A bowl of this is really a meal on its own.
How to Serve Lentil and Chicken Soup
I served this with a Swiss cheese grilled sandwich, because you really need a grilled cheese with this soup. No, I did not include the sandwich in the recipe, but in case you’re wondering, butter, Swiss cheese and bread. I’m sure you can figure out the rest. Just trust me that you need a grilled cheese sandwich with this soup.
Lentils are good for you, I’m sure of it, and this soup is loaded with lentils and chicken! I used red lentils, I bought a big bag a while ago of red lentils and I think it will take me a few years to get through the bag, but my point is any kind of lentils will work here, red or green or whatever other color they may come in.
Also, if you want a thinner soup, because this is a really thick yummy soup, just add more chicken broth, totally up to you.
Do I Have to Soak Lentils
You do not require to soak lentils. If you want to reduce the cooking time by about half, you can soak them. To soak them, pour your lentils in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Lentils only require two to four hours of soaking. Drain the water and give them another quick rinse with fresh, cold water.
Now go make this, eat this, then snuggle under a blanket and read a good book. It’s what I did.
More Soup Recipes:
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Red Lentil and Chicken Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup red lentils dry
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added
- 2 cups chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch Oven or a soup pot. Add the chopped onion, carrot and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- You can now add the spices, so add the turmeric, cumin, smoked paprika and stir. Add the red lentils, tomato paste and stir in the chicken broth until the tomato paste dissolves. I only used 4 cups of chicken broth, but this will result in a very thick soup, so if you want a thinner soup, add another cup of chicken broth.
- Add the shredded chicken, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through. You will have to stir occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with parsley and green onions.