Last updated on April 24th, 2019 at 07:05 pm
Spicy Ricotta Meatballs in Tomato Sauce – not just your regular meatballs, these meatballs have a few secret ingredients! Check the recipe to find out.
I made you guys meatballs! Again! What’s that? You’ve had enough meatballs? Can’t be. These meatballs are the bomb! You’re probably saying a meatball is a meatball is a meatball, but I disagree! These meatballs are not the same as any other meatballs. These meatballs will change your life.
That’s right! A life changing meatball. All joking aside these meatballs are pretty darn delicious. I’ve made quite a variety of meatballs in my day and I have to say I love them all. These meatballs though have ingredients I don’t normally use in meatballs, such as ricotta cheese, or spicy sausage meat or cornflakes breadcrumbs.
The thing I love about meatballs is that they’re so versatile. I mean who doesn’t love spaghetti and meatballs, or meatballs with tomato sauce over mashed potatoes, or even on rice. But you know what, I even love these meatballs on their own, just pop one in your mouth, and they are the perfect snack. Growing up, my mother made meatballs often and we’d just love them, so yeah you could say that meatballs hold a special place in my heart!
I heart meatballs!
Spicy Ricotta Meatballs in Tomato SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 med onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup conrflakes breadcrumbs regular breadcrumbs work as well
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
For Tamato Sauce
- 796 ml can crushed tomatoes about 3 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the meatballs ingredients together in a large bowl. Shape the mixture into meatballs, I ended up with about 50 meatballs. Place all the meatballs onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes or until meatballs are done and browned.
- For the sauce, add the crushed tomatoes, water, onion and garlic to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add brown sugar and heavy cream and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce, or pour the sauce over the meatballs in a large bowl and serve over spaghetti, or mashed potatoes.