Last updated on June 25th, 2018 at 09:10 pm
Here’s my version of a delicious and comforting Summer Chicken Vegetable Soup. Loaded with tons of veggies and chicken this soup is perfect for summer and a perfect use of all those summer vegetables.
Summer is not usually the time when you eat lots of soups, but this soup is perfect for summer time because it’s loaded with fresh vegetables that are in season right now. And I mean loaded. It’s also great because if you do have all these vegetables in your fridge, it’s a great soup to make to clean up your fridge, why throw out veggies? Don’t waste, just make a yummy soup.
Soups are great because they’re one pot meals, which goes back to my love of one pot meals and this soup comes together in 30 minutes from start to finish. Basically all you do is just chop and dump in the pot.
I did add chicken to this soup because I wanted some protein, but feel free to skip it and then you have a nice vegetarian soup that’s still hearty and delicious. I usually like to buy a whole rotisserie chicken and use the breast and the thigh meat to add to soups and then I chop of the rest of the chicken and make a chicken salad with it.
My favorite thing about this soup though, has got to be the dill which is why I added lots of it. I love dill in soups, I really think dill needs to be used more in cooking. It’s fresh and gives soups and stews a really nice fresh, anise-like taste. Really good!
This soup is also quite versatile, you don’t have to follow my recipe to a tee. Feel free to add in more spices and herbs and whatever veggies you have in your fridge. And on a last note, do not skip the toppings, I think you really need a bit of sour cream or yogurt to the soup and a bit of cheese. It really does finish the soup nicely. Hope you give it a try!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Summer Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 6 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 15 oz white kidney beans 1 can
- 4-6 cups chicken broth no sodium added
- 1 cup corn frozen, fresh or canned
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped, from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup green beans chopped, fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- sour cream or yogurt
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the white parts of the green onions (do not discard the green parts), the garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and stir. Cook for another 2 more minutes or until the garlic becomes aromatic and the onion has softened a bit.
- Add the white kidney beans and chicken broth to the pot. Start with 4 cups and then add more if necessary. I added 5 cups in total but it depends how thick you want the soup. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to a medium and cook the beans for about 5 minutes, just until the soup slightly thickens from the beans.
- Add the corn, chicken, green beans, and zucchini to the pot, stir everything together and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the green beans and zucchini are cooked to your liking. At this point taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Stir in the dill, lime juice and the green parts of the green onions.
- Serve the soup hot topped with sour cream or yogurt and Monterey Jack cheese.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!