Salted Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake with Pistachios – take a popular and delicious Texas sheet cake and top it with Pistachios and sea salt, and you’ve got AMAZING!
This has got to be my favorite chocolate cake that I’ve made so far. Although I seem to say that every single time I make any kind of cake. OK, so for now this is my favorite chocolate cake. Topping with what has got to be the best chocolate frosting ever, and if that wasn’t enough, loaded with crushed pistachios and sea salt. OMG! That’s all I can say. OMG!
I could barely get it together as I was taking pictures of this cake because all I wanted to do is eat that. But enough of that. Let’s talk PISTACHIOS! Have I ever mentioned to you that they are hands down my favorite nuts ever? Well they are, not sure what it is about them, must be the saltiness, must be because I love pistachio baklava, but it doesn’t matter why, they are truly my favorite and are absolutely amazing. Not to mention how good they are for you and are lower in calories than most other nuts.
All I can tell you is you must go nuts for these pistachios. Having said that they are perfect on this chocolate sheet cake. I’ve made Texas sheet cake before, but with a box of cake mix and that was good, but this is way better. And if you’ve never had salt on cakes or cookies before, OMG, the combination is made in heaven. There’s nothing I love more than sweet and salty together. It’s to die for.
However, I don’t want you to die over this cake, I want you to go make it now because you must.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Salted Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake with Pistachios
- 1/2 to 1 cup unsalted roasted pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Butter and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a small sauce pan, add the cocoa powder for the cake (1/4 cup), 1 cup of butter, and a cup of water. Bring to a boil, whisk and remove from heat. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add sugar, baking soda, salt, 2 cups flour and whisk. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Whisk or mix with a fork and gradually incorporate the dry ingredients. Add the cocoa/butter mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Lick the bowl.
- Bake cake for about 35 minutes. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle, it should come out clean.
- A few minutes before cake is done baking, make the frosting. In a small sauce pan, add butter, milk and cocoa powder and turn the heat to low. Whisk occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Do not let boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Pour warm frosting over the warm cake and smooth it out. Top with pistachios and sea salt.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Recipe source Bon Appetit
What you’ll need: