This Three Cheese Hamburger Helper is so much better than anything you’ll find in a box. This homemade twist is packed full of flavor, ooey gooey cheese, and best of all – ready in a heartbeat – 30 minute tops!
Hamburger helper may not be what you’ll find on the menu of really… any restaurants but that doesn’t mean it’s not totally addicting when done right! It takes me back to my childhood, when my mom needed to throw something together that would have all our bowls clean by the time we were done feasting. Even just seeing its smiling little box in the grocery store tugs at my heart strings, so I decided today to take some inspiration from this quick dinner helper!
Hamburger Helper Made Right
We’re going to pack this dish with some interesting flavor, nothing you’ll find in a packet of pre-seasoning! We’re also going to pack it full of creamy ingredients, lots of melty cheese, and of course some fresh chopped parsley – got to get your greens in. Believe me after this recipe you’ll never look at boxed meals the same way again. So let’s get cooking!
Ingredients In Three Cheese Hamburger Helper
- Beef – Ground up and quick to cook! Be sure to drain the fat if you use regular ground beef, otherwise lean will do just fine. You can also use ground chicken and turkey to lean out the dish.
- Sauces – Some sweet ketchup, mustard, and zippy hot sauce will be our sauce base.
- Seasoning – Onion powder, salt and pepper are all we need in this area.
- Garlic – Use as much or little as you like.
- Pasta – Any will do but I prefer a smaller shaped noodle like elbow or shells.
- Broth – I used low sodium beef broth to make sure that beef flavor carries through into every bite, but chicken will work just as fine if that’s what you have.
- Sour cream – Well add this right near the end for a creamy sauce with tang.
- Cheese – Cheddar, mozzarella, and Monterey jack. Oh yeah we’re going there with 3 cheeses.
- Parsley – Fresh and chopped up fine for a bright garnish.
How To Make Three Cheese Hamburger Helper
Detailed instructions and measurements can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Prepare the beef: In a large skillet cook the beef till it is no longer pink in the middle and has browned. Drain the fat. Add the ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, onion powder, and salt and pepper.
- Combine the ingredients: Stir everything well before adding the pasta and beef broth. Bring to a boil before covering and allow to cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and cheeses and cook till it’s all melted.
- Garnish: Chop that parsley up nice and fine and sprinkle on top. Serve nice and hot!
This dish is also delicious the next day, just be sure to store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days. You can freeze this recipe too, it’ll stay fresh for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
Why This Dish Works – One Pot 30 Minutes
This is one of those dishes that my cookbook is all about. Fast meals, delicious, comforting, all in one pot and in 30 minutes or less!
- Less cleanup!
- Tons of flavour!
- Lots of cheesy goodness!
- A dish your family will love!
- Ingredients you likely already have in your fridge and pantry!
Want More Pasta? Check Out These Great Recipes:
- Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Chili Mac and Cheese
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Skillet Lasagna
- Beef Ragu
- Chicken Crack Penne
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Three Cheese Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb ground beef extra lean
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp hot sauce such as Sriracha, optional
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper or to taste
- 8 oz pasta such as elbow or shells (2 cups)
- 3 ½ cups beef broth low sodium
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef over medium heat until it's no longer pink and starts to brown. Drain off any excess fat, if needed. If using extra lean ground beef there won't be any excess fat to drain.
- Add the ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper and stir everything together.
- Stir in the pasta and beef broth. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through. Most of the sauce should have been absorbed as well.
- Stir in the sour cream then the cheeses and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.