Last updated on April 12th, 2017 at 09:04 pm
Brazilian Shrimp Soup – a delicious tomato creamy soup with shrimp, coconut milk and seasoned to perfection.
I kind of promised myself that I’ll stop complaining to you guys about the cold weather here, but I can’t help myself. It’s freaking cold here in Calgary and it’s going to be one cold weekend. This weekend we’re getting down to a very chilly -35 C, which is -31 F, which is very very very cold. Did I mention it’s very cold? Come on, it’s March already, I’m ready for spring, I want to hear the birds chirping outside, I want to see the trees budding, I want to see the grass, I want to stop wearing thick winter coats and gloves, I want to go outside and feel the sun on my face, and not my nose hairs freeze. Yes I said nose hairs, I have nose hairs, I’m sure you do too.
I’m tired of the snow!
Breathe! Ok, I think I need a chill pill! Wrong choice of words there.
Anywho, on such wonderful cold weather, there’s nothing better than a delicious creamy soup. With shrimp! And coconut milk! And shrimp, large shrimp. Did I mention it’s cold here?
So … as you can see in the picture above my shrimp were quite big, because that’s the kind of gal I am, I like my shrimp big, but don’t let that stop you from making this soup. The little tiny shrimp that are precooked would be perfect in this yummy creamy soup. But aren’t they purrty?
Above is a picture of my hand model, he’s very expensive but I pay him with food. Occasionally you may see his hands in other posts. This hand model is also the model that does the grocery shopping at Jo Cooks headquarters, so that would make him the executive buyer as well. It’s not often you find a man with those skills, I’m one lucky woman!
Now before I leave you with the recipe, I know you’re just dying for some dumb shrimp jokes. I know you, so scroll down for the jokes.
Q: Why wouldn’t the shrimp share his treasure?
A: Because he was a little shellfish.
A platypus walks into a bar and tells the bartender,”Got any shrimp?”
The bartender says ,”No, now go away!.”
The platypus walks in to the bar again and says, “Got any shrimp?”
The bartender says,”No and if you ask me that one more time I’ll staple your webbed feet into the floor!”
The platypus walks into the bar again and says,”Do you have any staples?” And the bartender says,”No.”
Then the platypus says,”Got any shrimp?”
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Brazilian Shrimp Soup - a delicious tomato creamy soup with shrimp, coconut milk and seasoned to perfection.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped (I used a red one)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes (1 can)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 lb medium shrimp shelled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over low heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and cook stirring occasionally until the onion and pepper are soft.
- Add the rice, red pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes and water to the pot and bring a boil. Cook until the rice is almost done, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.