Last updated on January 10th, 2018 at 10:10 am
Red Lentil and Chicken Soup – a hearty and delicious soup loaded with lentils and chicken, cumin and smoked paprika, a perfect comfort soup for a cold fall or winter night.
Fall for me is all about comfort soups, pumpkin spiced lattes or hot cocoas, and although I’m happy to say the weather really has been cooperating, I still crave a hot and comforting soup. I simply love this time of year, the colors are just beautiful. We went to the park today and it was a nice day where you could get away with just wearing a tshirt, but the colors of the trees were so breathtaking.
Not to mention the dog really had a lot of fun. She loved walking in the river, it’s not deep enough to swim but definitely deep enough for her to cool off.
While most of the leaves have fallen off the trees, you can still make out gorgeous red, gold and orange colors, it was all around. Just breathtaking.
So when we got back home, it was time for my soup. I hate to admit but I don’t cook often with lentils and I’m very disappointed to say that. Because when I do make something with lentils I remember how much I love them and how good they are, but then somehow I forget about them again. Silly me.
But this soup is right up there with my favorite soups, dumpling soup being my favorite. You could easily turn this into a vegetarian dish if you wanted to, just skip the chicken. This is a very hearty and full of flavor soup. A bowl of this is really a meal on its own.
Of course I had to make myself a Swiss cheese grilled sandwich, because you can’t just not eat this with a grilled cheese sandwich. No, I did not include the sandwich in the recipe, but in case you’re wondering, butter, swiss cheese and bread. I’m sure you can figure out the rest. Just trust me that you need a grilled cheese sandwich with this soup.
Lentils are good for you, I’m sure of it, and this soup is loaded with lentils and chicken! I used red lentils, I bought a big bag a while ago of red lentils and I think it will take me a few years to get through the bag, but my point is any kind of lentils will work here, red or green or whatever other color they may come in. Also, if you want a thinner soup, because this is a really thick yummy soup, just add more chicken broth, totally up to you.
Now go make this, eat this, then snuggle under a blanket and read a good book. It’s what I did.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup red lentils dry
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added
- 2 cups chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch Oven or a soup pot. Add the chopped onion, carrot and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- You can now add the spices, so add the turmeric, cumin, smoked paprika and stir. Add the red lentils, tomato paste and stir in the chicken broth until the tomato paste dissolves. I only used 4 cups of chicken broth, but this will result in a very thick soup, so if you want a thinner soup, add another cup of chicken broth.
- Add the shredded chicken, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through. You will have to stir occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with parsley and green onions.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.