Last updated on February 18th, 2017 at 08:39 pm
These Jamaican Jerk Chicken Lettuce Wraps are spicy, delicious and super healthy. Perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
My husband and I have started 2 weeks of low carb eating along with walking 10000 steps a day and we are on day 4 of this strict 2 weeks. So if you ask me which is harder, walking the 10000 steps or eating low carb I would quickly answer that and say that walking 10000 steps a day is quite a challenge. To be honest though, I’ve started to do the 10000 steps a day challenge from the beginning of the year, and while I haven’t been able to do it every single day, I have walked quite a bit and am loving it.
I think what I miss the most is my chocolate. Can’t have any sugar during this 2 weeks so I’ve tried other “desserts” that are doing the trick. Like ricotta cheese with cocoa powder and sliced almonds. I have to admit I quite enjoy this combination, but maybe that’s just me because I love ricotta cheese just on its own, but adding cocoa to it really does make it better.
But I have been trying to come up with dishes like this Jamaican jerk chicken lettuce wraps, or pork medallions over collard greens which you will be able to find in my new ebook. Yep, I am finally writing an ebook with easy and healthy dinner recipes which I’m hoping to have out by the summer.
Anyway, let’s focus on this Jamaican jerk chicken. It is spiiiiiiiicy! So if you can’t handle the heat, please reduce the Jamaican jerk seasoning, but if you love spicy then this chicken is for you. I cut it into small little pieces, as small as I could and sprinkled the Jamaican jerk seasoning over it and cooked it for a few minutes, it will cook quickly because of how small the pieces are. I didn’t use oil, I just sprayed a non stick skillet with cooking spray.
I have tried this low carb thing before and while I can’t do it long term I can definitely do it for a couple weeks. I have to say hubs is struggling with it more than I am because he’s a Nutella junkie. However, when he saw these lettuce wraps he was in love.
And the great thing about these lettuce wraps is that you can eat as many of them as you please because they are very low carb and boy are they ever delicious. But spicy! I used Boston lettuce here for the lettuce simply because that’s the only lettuce we buy all the time, but really you can use your favorite lettuce. I also used some cole slaw mix which I love to add to my salads, some peanuts and cilantro of course. The mayo sauce is also spicy because it’s mixed with a bit more Jamaican jerk seasoning and it is yummy!
To finish these babies off just squeeze a lime over them and you’re good to go. I think these are perfect for lunch or even for a super healthy dinner.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 8 leaves lettuce, I used Boston lettuce, but iceburg lettuce works
- 2 chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 1 to 2 tbsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 lime cut in slices
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Sprinkle 1 or 2 tbsp of the Jamaican jerk seasoning over the chicken and toss making sure each piece is generously seasoned. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, it will cook in about 5 to 7 minutes or so because pieces are fairly small.
- Make the sauce by mixing together the mayonnaise with a bit of Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- To assemble the lettuce wraps, top each lettuce leaf with some of the coleslaw mix, chicken, green onions, cilantro, peanuts and drizzle with a bit of the mayo sauce.