Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps – ready in 15 minutes from start to finish, perfect quick summer lunch. These Thai-style lettuce wraps will please your taste buds, super healthy and delicious.
I remember the first time I had lettuce wraps, and it was at PF Chang’s of course, many many years ago. Ever since then I’ve been making them myself because unfortunately we don’t have a PF Chang’s here in Calgary. So sad, but true! That is one thing I miss about living close to the border, is just driving down to the states whenever I want to go shopping or go to restaurants we don’t have in Canada. But then I remember the humidity and it’s all good again.
I’m actually going back to Southern Ontario in a couple weeks to visit my parents, and we’re driving down there. 3 whole days of driving, but I’m actually looking forward to it, it will be a chance for my sister and I to talk our ears off, laugh like crazy, listen to music and just have a good time. We’ve done this once before and it was fun, however I chickened out and flew back, but this time I’m in it all the way, regardless of how boring most of the drive is, nothing to see but cows and hay! But yeah, it will be fun, though I’m already wondering how I’m going to deal with the humidity, just the thought of it is making me choke. Anyway I’ve lived there for 24 years and survived so I’m sure I’ll survive again for a couple weeks.
Enough about humidity and long road trips, as much fun as they are to talk about, I want to talk about these chicken lettuce wraps with a Thai inspiration, cause I just love love Thai food. So this chicken packs a bit of heat from the red curry paste, but not too much and a bit of sweetness from the Hoisin sauce. The chicken is also flavored with lots of ginger and garlic, and if you want you can even add a bit of fish sauce, though I didn’t myself. Also the basil is very important, basil is used a lot in Thai cuisine, and if you can find Thai basil, even better. I don’t think I have to tell you that these lettuce wraps are super healthy and for me they make the perfect summer lunch. I would even bring these to a picnic, just pack the chicken in an airtight container and pack the iceberg lettuce with you.
Love lettuce wraps? Give these a try:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 cup cabbage shredded or coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 5 leaves basil chopped
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce cut into half
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat until oil is very hot. Add ground chicken and cook until no longer pink and starts to brown, break it up with a wooden spoon as necessary. Should take about 3 minutes.
- Add red curry paste, ginger, garlic, peppers, coleslaw mix, and stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Add hoisin sauce and green onions, and toss. Remove from heat then add basil and toss.Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl.
- Serve by placing spoonfuls of chicken into pieces of lettuce, fold lettuce over like small tacos, and eat.