Last updated on July 20th, 2018 at 12:57 pm
This Easy Thai Steak Salad is super quick to prepare and loaded with veggies and a grilled marinated sirloin steak featuring Thai flavours. A must try salad for the summer, you won’t regret it.
Many times I ask myself if I would rather have the scorching heat of the summer or the freezing cold of the winter. And it gets cold here, trust me, super cold. Cold enough that when you step outside your nose hairs will freeze. Yeah if you’ve never thought about them, or didn’t realize you have them, you will definitely feel them here in the winter. But I know my answer. I’d take the heat over the freezing cold any day. There’s just something special about summer. It makes me feel like I’m on a never ending vacation. Especially when it’s grilling time.
Here’s an easy Thai steak salad, with a grilled sirloin steak. I must say we have the best steaks here in Alberta and am proud of it. I never learned to appreciate a good steak till we moved here and now I love them. And this is from someone who doesn’t normally eat red meat, except these gorgeous steaks.
We finally finished work in our backyard, well it’s been over a week now, but hubs planted all the herbs a few weeks ago and I’m now reaping the benefits. This beautiful mint and cilantro is from my little herb garden. There’s just something special about using my own herbs, makes the salad that much more special.
So I actually grilled this steak myself, not hubs, and am so proud of myself because I grilled it to perfection, at least according to how I like my steak. I like mine usually medium or medium rare, this one here was more medium, so for this I grilled it 7 minutes per side. I let the steak marinate overnight though and the flavors here are so good. The marinade is pretty simple, soy sauce, molasses, ginger, garlic, lime juice and some Thai red chili peppers which I find all the time now at my local grocery store. Be careful with these peppers though, they are super mean.
Before slicing into the steak let it rest for 10 minutes or so otherwise when you slice it all the juice will come out of it and you’ll end up with a dry steak and nobody wants that.
The salad itself is quite simple, lettuce, red bell pepper and cucumbers. Oh let’s not forget my homegrown herbs, mint and cilantro. I’m really learning to enjoy mint and cilantro in salads, I know 5 years ago I never would have eaten so much cilantro in a salad, but now I simply love it, including the smell of it.
So here you have it my friends, a simple Thai steak salad that is perfect on a hot summer day.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Easy Thai Steak Salad
- 4 cups lettuce chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced in long strips
- 1/2 English cucumber sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- 2 tbsp peanuts chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl add all the marinade ingredients (minus steak) and whisk well. Pour the marinade in a ziploc bag, add steak and close the bag and toss around a bit. Place in the fridge and let the steak marinate for 4 hours or overnight. The longer it marinates the better it will taste.
- Prepare the dressing, by mixing all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisking well.
- Grill the steak to your preferred doneness, I prefer mine medium, so for medium I usually leave it 7 minutes per side. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes after you grilled, then slice the steak across the grain.
- In a large bowl toss the lettuce, pepper, cucumber, mint and cilantro together then pour the dressing over and toss well. Arrange the salad on a platter and place the sliced steak over the salad, then top with chopped peanuts.