One Pot Couscous with Shrimp and Peas – A simple dish made in 30 minutes from start to finish, featuring everyday ingredients but full of incredible flavor.
A couple weeks ago on a gorgeous sunny Sunday afternoon, hubs and I went for a walk downtown and we did a bit of shopping. So many cool little stores that we just couldn’t help ourselves but go in absolutely every single one of them. We found a little kitchen store, and me being a food blogger of course I had to immediately go in and check it out. Inside I found this gorgeous tri colored pearl couscous among many other cool things. But I was excited to use this couscous because of how pretty it looked and I loved the fact that it was tri colored.
If you’ve never had couscous before or cooked with couscous it is in fact little pasta pearls and not a whole grain, as some people may think. Couscous is very versatile, you can make hot dishes or cold dishes with it, or it could be used in all sort of salads.
So this one pot dish I made here with this pearl couscous couldn’t get any easier. It’s simple and quick to make on a busy weeknight. If you don’t like shrimp or want to go the cheaper route, chicken would work just as well in this dish. I seasoned the shrimp with smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper and quickly cooked it over high heat in a skillet. It really takes a couple minutes before it’s pink and cooked to perfection.
I decided to add some raisins to the couscous because I wanted a bit of Middle Eastern flavors and garnished this with Pistachios for a bit of extra crunch. So if you want a light, delicious and quick dinner tonight, then this couscous is for you!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
One Pot Couscous with Shrimp and Peas
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined and tails on
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup couscous uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup peas frozen
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pistachios chopped
- parsley for ganish
- Season shrimp with cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and toss.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. When oil is smoking hot add shrimp and cook for a minute or two on both sides, until pink. Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
- Add chopped onion and bell pepper to skillet and saute until onion is translucent. Add garlic and raisins and cook for another minute.
- Add couscous and chicken broth to the skillet and bring to a boil, then turn heat down. Cook couscous for about 10 minutes until all chicken broth is absorbed. Add frozen peas and cook for a couple more minutes until peas are no longer frozen.
- Remove skillet from heat and add shrimp. Garnish with pistachios and parsley.