Chocolate Rumballs – a couple of these and you won’t need that cocktail.
I’ve been making these chocolate rumballs for quite a few years now, about 10 years. I can’t remember the name of the book, but my friend had this book full of desserts made from cake mix and this recipe comes from this book. There is no holiday at my house without these rumballs. Any potluck I have at work, I bring chocolate rumballs. We absolutely love them. Let me tell you why. The secret is the rum, and I love to add a bit more rum. In the recipe I say 1/4 cup of rum. But not me, I add 1/2 cup and let me tell you, when you eat one, it’s like having a chocolate rum shot. They remind me of a chocolate martini. 🙂
The beauty of these rumballs is how easy they are to make because you’re using cake mix. I usually buy the super moist chocolate cake mix. Bake the cake according to the instructions on the box. It should make 2 cakes.
Let the cake cool completely. Remove the cake from the cake pans and crumble it up in a big bowl.
That was the hardest part, making the chocolate cake. The rest of the ingredients are cocoa powder, rum, chopped pecans and powdered sugar.
Add all these ingredients to the bowl with the crumbled cake. Ah, not the entire bottle of rum….just 1/4 cup.
Before you start mixing everything together, get another medium sized bowl and add the coconut to it. I like to use the fine shredded coconut for these cookies.
In the next step you have to get your hands dirty. So using your hands, mix all the ingredients together in the bowl. You make think the mix will be dry, but it is not so, the rum and powdered sugar, when mixed with the chocolate cakes, forms a very nice smooth consistency.
Start rolling the rumballs, they should be just over an inch in diameter. Usually what I do is as I roll them, I throw them in the bowl with the shredded coconut. After I have a few in the bowl, I wash my hands and I roll the rumballs in the coconut. You don’t want to wait too long, the balls might dry out and the coconut won’t stick so well. Repeat until you’re done rolling all the cake mix. And that’s all there is to it. Now you can enjoy eating them. They are delicious. One of my favorite holiday cookies.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (follow instructions to bake the cake)
- ¼ cup good cocoa powder
- ¼ cup of good rum
- 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups of powder sugar
- 2 cups of shredded coconut for rolling the rumballs in
- Follow the instructions to bake the cake, so you will need additional ingredients for that. I usually buy the super moist chocolate cake mix, it's much better.
- After the cake has cooled, crumble it up in a big bowl, add the powder sugar, rum, cocoa powder and the chopped walnuts and mix well. Initially you may think there's not enough moisture, but as you mix it well, it will all incorporate really well and you will be able to roll rumballs.
- Start rolling, the rumballs should be just a little over an inch in diameter. After you rolled them between your hands, roll them in the coconut.
- You can store them in an air tight container in the fridge for over a week.