If you like orange and chocolate together, you will love these congo bars. Top these congo bars with ice cream and you’ve got a match made in heaven.
These Congo bars have it all. They are cookies and brownies, they are to die for.
I love it when I find little gems like this in my old cookbooks. I have had this Cookies book for at least 10 years and I usually take it out around the holidays and make some cookies from it. It never let me down. The cookies always turn out wonderful and delicious.
Same with these Congo bars. I had never made this recipe before but what intrigued me were the flavor combinations. If you’re a fan of orange and chocolate together, you will love these bars. So we have chocolate, orange and walnuts, they are amazing. This recipe also makes a lot of bars, about 50 of them, so make sure you share with friends and family.
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp granted orange peel
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 (12 oz) cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 15" x 10" jelly-roll pan with foil.
- In a large bowl beat together butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange peel and salt until light and fluffy. Add flour and baking powder, beating until blended. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in foil-lined pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan. Cut cookies into bars.