English Thumbprint cookies are the perfect holiday cookie, cookie dough balls are coated in pecans, baked then topped with raspberry jam. Delicious!
Welcome to day 10 of 12 days of Christmas!
Yes, I’m still making cookies. Only a few days left until Christmas so I am taking advantage of this. I love these cookies. They are so gorgeous and so delicious. I make them for every holiday and then some. They are so much fun to make, well if you enjoy baking, and let me not mention how much I love to taste them. These cookies are a staple at my house for the holidays and everybody just loves them.
I just realized that a lot of the stuff I’ve been making recently has had pecans in them. Well I love pecans and I love anything with pecans in them. You’ll need about a cup of pecans for these cookies. I used a food processor and pulsed the pecans a few times, until they were fine enough for rolling the cookies in them.
In the bowl of your mixer add the butter and the brown sugar.
Beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and the egg yolk. Keep the egg white in another small bowl.
Continue beating the egg in. In another medium size bowl mix the flour with the salt together. Add the flour mixture to the mixer gradually and mix until the flour is well incorporated.
Beat the egg white slightly with a fork. In another shallow bowl place the chopped pecans. Now shape the dough into 1 inch balls, roll each ball in the egg white, then roll them in pecans and coat them well. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a deep indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb.
Bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 350 F degrees for 8 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and fill each indentation with the jam. I used seedless raspberry jam, but you can use whatever jam you happen to have. Return the cookies back to the oven and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Place cookies on wire racks to cool.
Aren’t they pretty, and they are so yummy. You will love them.
- 1¼ cup of flour
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pecan pieces, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp seedless raspberry or strawberry jam (or your favorite jam)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a medium bowl place the flour and salt and stir. In the bowl of your mixer add the butter and brown sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg yolk and continue mixing, and gradually beat in the flour mixture. In a small bowl beat the egg white with a fork. In another shallow bowl place the finely chopped pecans.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll each ball in the egg white, then roll them in pecans and coat well. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a deep indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes or until set. Remove cookies from the oven and fill each indentation with the jam, use about ¼ tsp per cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. Place cookies on wire racks and cool completely.